Upgrade suggestions Emby 4.6 to 4.7 and DS920+ to DS423+

westhill

westhill

TLDR: Do I upgrade Emby in-place on the old NAS (DS920+) or build a new setup on the new NAS (DS423+)?

My old NAS is the DS920+ listed below and I just purchased a new DS423+. I am  wondering if starting fresh may be a better approach than trying to do in-place upgrades on the old NAS to get to a newer version of Emby followed by updating DSM from 6.2 to 7.2

Old NAS
DS920+ / DSM 6.2.x / package based Emby 4.6.7.0 installed on volume 1 (HDD)

- 20GB RAM
-- volume 1 HDD has media and Emby installed
-- volume 2 is a pair of SSD that I run docker on for Aars, etc...

New NAS
DS423+ / DSM 7.2 u3 /package based Emby 4.7.14.0 installed on volume 2 (SSD)

-6GB RAM
-- volume 1 HDD has media from the old NAS
-- volume 2 is a pair of M2 SSD that I run docker on and pretty sure I installed Emby here

Is there an easy way to migrate watched status between Emby 4.6.7.0 and 4.7.14.0? I am running the backup/restore plugin on both server instances, is it safe the restore a 4.6 backup to a 4.7 server?

Thank you

Hi, you should be fine doing the normal upgrade, but which NAS do you want to run the server on? That's what I would decide based on.

westhill

Thanks Luke. Emby was running fine on the old NAS, the new NAS is to test getting everything up and running with minimal disruption to the old setup. I think I will setup the new NAS and consider cutting over to that and then tinker with the old setup.

Is there an easy way to migrate watched status between Emby 4.6.7.0 and 4.7.14.0? I am running the backup/restore plugin on both server instances, is it safe the restore a 4.6 backup to a 4.7 server?

I am running the backup/restore plugin on both server instances, is it safe the restore a 4.6 backup to a 4.7 server?

In theory, but it might be better to update the 4.6 install to 4.7 first, so that both machines are on the same version. I think the more you can reduce the number of variables between the two, the better the transition will be.