HDHomeRun recordings naming issue - sports

mohoelx

mohoelx

So I have a HDHomeRun Flex Duo. When I record sports, the internal file name includes the date, but it gets stripped out in the folder display, so the sorting is alphabetic and not "oldest to newest".

An example file name is E:\HDHR Recordings\NFL Football (2023)\NFL Football 2023_10_08_12_00_00 - Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh Steelers.ts

But in the folder it looks like this; note no date portion.

image.png.34b79ded7eec7f89615f25986a83c44a.png

I don't see anywhere to 'configure' the name field or to set the library to sort by date added. 

Any suggestions on how to configure things so a folder full of football games displays and plays in date order from oldest to newest? The same happens for baseball games as well.

Thanks -

Edited by mohoelx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
mohoelx

Ok, so the listing now shows all the Sunday and Monday night football games. Sunday was not 'clear' since the games aired in alphabetical order, but Monday night was Denver, which broke the order. I would expect episodes to store in order added to the library, oldest to newest, so that if you just opt to "play" the folder, they would be in age order. But in this case, the order would be purely alphabeitcal. Part1 and Part2 are screen prints of the library, Detail1 and Detail1 are the first two entries, and then Path Detail shows that the file name does in fact include the date, but it is not apparently used in creating the metadata and does not impact the order they are displayed in the library. Any suggestions on how to get this to display (and thus play) in order of "date added"?

HDHR Naming-sports.zip

mohoelx

I'm going to go with "no" since they all have Release Date and Date Added already populated from the normal processing of the system. 

That said, I manually edited the Release Date and;

- Rescan library, no change.

- Refresh Metadata, no change.

- Re-rescan (after refresh of Metadata), no change... other than they held on to the manually updated Release Dates. (I used the 10th and 11th instead of 12th and 13th so I'd be able to know what changed).

Is there a way to default a folder to sort by "date added" or "release date"?

mohoelx

The only setting I see that looks like it may have any bearing is "Prefer embedded titles over filenames" but I've tried it both ways (checked and unchecked) and it doesn't seem to have any impact on this particular issue.

1 hour ago, mohoelx said:

The only setting I see that looks like it may have any bearing is "Prefer embedded titles over filenames" but I've tried it both ways (checked and unchecked) and it doesn't seem to have any impact on this particular issue.

It's not a setting it's the metadata editor for each individual episode.

mohoelx

Yes, didn't mean to confuse the discussion. I was just commenting that the only setting I could find that looked like it may impact how shows are displayed. I did do the testing by editing the metadata via the metadata editor, even though the field had been populated by the system beforehand. So when I first went into the editor, they showed the Release Date and Date Added appropriately populated. I then manually edited two of the games to explicitly change the dates, and rescanned the library as well as refreshed the metadata and rescanned again. None of this changed anything with the order shows are listed, always shows the same order as in the screen shots. Hopefully that is all clear....

2 hours ago, mohoelx said:

Yes, didn't mean to confuse the discussion. I was just commenting that the only setting I could find that looked like it may impact how shows are displayed. I did do the testing by editing the metadata via the metadata editor, even though the field had been populated by the system beforehand. So when I first went into the editor, they showed the Release Date and Date Added appropriately populated. I then manually edited two of the games to explicitly change the dates, and rescanned the library as well as refreshed the metadata and rescanned again. None of this changed anything with the order shows are listed, always shows the same order as in the screen shots. Hopefully that is all clear....

Can you show a screenshot of your episode listing now?

Most of these episodes don't have dates. Try using the metadata editor to manually assign dates to them.

Once you've done that, please show a new screenshot. Thanks !

mohoelx

But they do have dates - in the File Name (i.e.; Path), Date Added, and Release Date. The only place it doesn't is in the Title and Sort Title. I would have assumed, apparently wrongly, that the Title would match the File Name from the Path, but somehow, the date portion of the Path is not included...? These screen prints are the Metadata Editor without any changes made by me....

I'm not really interested in having to manually edit the metadata for each of these, but if I did, is it the Title or Sort Title or both that have to be changed?

Metadata Editor Screenshot.zip

They don't have dates in Emby Server and that's what's important.

is it the Title or Sort Title or both that have to be changed?

Neither.

On 11/17/2023 at 12:17 PM, Luke said:

If you give each one a release date in the metadata editor, does that resolve it?

mohoelx

ok, I'm confused then. Where would I put the date if not in the "Release Date" field? And these are all populated by the system already with the right dates.... 

I'm beginning to understand a part of the problem is live sports don't fit the normal Series/Episode nomenclature, but at this point, I'm not even sure where to be adding a release date.

image.png.0b2d97e483ca20867c85d301a5d7ba4f.png

mohoelx

Yes, it is being filled in by the system for all of them. I manually CHANGED a couple to try to force a change (several posts ago) but every recording has both of those dates populated automatically. 

mohoelx

Thanks. So just for anyone looking at this, I made an interesting discovery today. While the sorting issue still exists, at least the date is shown on the tile when using Emby Theater on my PC, or the Android Emby app on my Chromebook, as opposed to using a web browser. I sorta had a 'slap the head and say DUH!' moment today. Again, while the sort order is still purely alphabetical, at least I can easily see the date. And, files that had to be transcoded to play via a browser Direct Play using the apps, so double bonus! I never realized how the Emby Theater app fit into the architecture....

image.thumb.png.2297c4041fdd2591bc05b5b73859f521.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1