LG app - trashing the hard drive on the Emby server and freezing.

DeanoDublin

DeanoDublin

Hi. I recently change from a Sony TV (Emby was flawless) to a new LG C3 and having big problems with Emby. On a lot of movies I can see the hard drive is going crazy on the Emby server (it a NUC in the room so light is visible) and the video just stop playing. The video files are fine.

I just checked the settings on the TV app and the quality is set to Auto. When I set it to something like 1080p 4Mbps, it works fine, but this obviously won't be any good for any of 4K content.

My assumption is that the Emby server is transcoding and that is why it is going crazy? Surely it should not be doing this? I've checked the settings on the server and cannot see anything to turn on or off.

Is there anything I can check?

Transcoding.jpg

Edited by DeanoDublin

GrimReaper
19 minutes ago, DeanoDublin said:

My assumption is that the Emby server is transcoding and that is why it is going crazy?

Why the assumption? You can easily check whether server is transcoding or not in your server Dashboard. 

20 minutes ago, DeanoDublin said:

Surely it should not be doing this?

Provide ffmpeg log created for one of those sessions and maybe reason can be glimpsed. 

DeanoDublin
26 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Why the assumption? You can easily check whether server is transcoding or not in your server Dashboard. 

Provide ffmpeg log created for one of those sessions and maybe reason can be glimpsed. 

Thanks. I took a snapshot of the same movie running on the TV and on Chrome. The TV has frozen after 30 seconds.

How do I get a ffmpeg log?

Transcoding1.jpg

The next update should enable direct play of DTS on your model which should improve this. 

DeanoDublin
On 13/10/2023 at 21:27, SamES said:

The next update should enable direct play of DTS on your model which should improve this. 

Thanks for that - so the issue is definitely with DTS? And I assume this is a known issue?

44 minutes ago, DeanoDublin said:

Thanks for that - so the issue is definitely with DTS? And I assume this is a known issue?

It's a known issue that in recent years LG has stopped supporting DTS, so this means we need to convert the audio to another format and deliver it via HLS streaming, which means segmenting the video.  This results in a lot of disk reads/writes.  This isn't a problem, but you are observing this as a lot of disk thrashing.  Depending on your servers specification, it may not be able to handle this workload.

Fortunately for you, this year LG are again supporting DTS on OLED models and this support has been added to our next app release.  If this was not the case, or you wanted a quicker solution then try playing an alternate audio track (AC3, EAC3) that already exists in the file and not DTS or TrueHD track.  This will allow DirectPlay and will resolve your issue.

DeanoDublin
1 minute ago, SamES said:

It's a known issue that in recent years LG has stopped supporting DTS, so this means we need to convert the audio to another format and deliver it via HLS streaming, which means segmenting the video.  This results in a lot of disk reads/writes.  This isn't a problem, but you are observing this as a lot of disk thrashing.  Depending on your servers specification, it may not be able to handle this workload.

Fortunately for you, this year LG are again supporting DTS on OLED models and this support has been added to our next app release.  If this was not the case, or you wanted a quicker solution then try playing an alternate audio track (AC3, EAC3) that already exists in the file and not DTS or TrueHD track.  This will allow DirectPlay and will resolve your issue.

OK, thanks - I'll definitely look out for that workaround. Unfortunately though, I had a look at a couple of the 'problem' files that had DTS and it is the only audio track.

Just for FYI - I use a dedicated NUC as my Emby server that doesn't do anything else. It's an i3 with an SSD drive.

Any idea when the app update will be released? 

• Like 1

andrew0404

DeanoDublin,

I have a G3 and what I do is go into the manage server/user settings and temporarily turn off transcoding for my user.  The server attempts to direct play the media which works for me.  I just have to remember to turn it back on after I am done with that video since I use other devices that I want to be able to transcode for that user.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 12.14.31 PM.png

• Like 1