Sharing files from Windows to Windows Installation

uzio123
Go to solution Solved by uzio123,

Hi,

Long time Emby Premiere user here and due to some hardware issues, I'm having to change my set up. All my media is stored on a Windows 10 installation with 5x 8TB HDDs which I don't have the finances to replace at the moment. I have just purchased a Lenovo Tiny PC running Windows as well.

I have set up all the sharing in Windows to the best of my knowledge (out of practice but used to share to Kodi years ago with the same system), but when I go to add the folders i.e. "\\192.168.68.111\Movies\Action" or "\\DESKTOP-944FUR1\Action" I get "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again." I have access to the drives in windows and can read/write the files.

I have read the below threads with similar issues but no luck (I can't seem to change the service to the server username)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Uzair

Edited by uzio123

Hello uzio123,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

HI,  I would suggest using ip address, and make sure that you can enter the path into windows explorer and have it work there as well. Please see if that helps.

andrewds

Not sure it's relevant because maybe they're just examples but fwiw "\\192.168.68.111\Movies\Action" and "\\DESKTOP-944FUR1\Action" are different paths. Should Movies be part of the path or not?

Alternatively you can just add the folder(s) as (a) mapped network drive(s) in Windows on the Tiny PC and then just use the mapped drive letter in the Emby configuration. Then Emby will rely on the local Windows instance to manage credentials and storage.

Thanks you for the help so far! 

@LukeI did try and use ip address as well but it didn't seem to work.

@andrewdsthanks you - all the drives are showing on my pc so I think they are all mapped and I can access everything from the pc (read and write). 

andrewds
1 hour ago, uzio123 said:

@andrewdsthanks you - all the drives are showing on my pc so I think they are all mapped and I can access everything from the pc (read and write). 

I don't understand. When you say they're showing on your PC are you talking about the Tiny PC that you're trying to use to access remotely? Or on the PC actually containing the files? My understanding is you have DESKTOP-944FUR1 (192.168.68.111) which is hosting all of the media files but not the Emby server. You have created network shares on DESKTOP-944FUR1 which you want to access from Tiny PC. Tiny PC is hosting Emby. You are attempting to add the libraries to Emby on Tiny PC using UNC paths (\\server\share). That's not working. What I am suggesting is that you add the network shares to Tiny PC as mapped network drives (or maybe just one, if you can use a root path with all of the library media folders includes) and then instead of using a UNC path in the Emby library configuration just use the mapped drive letter.

Is that making sense? Or, if I am misunderstanding and the file share(s) from DESKTOP-944FUR1 are already mapped as a network drive on Tiny PC, then just use the drive letter(s).

• Thanks 1

• Solution

@andrewdsthanks for the effort to help. I probably wasn't being clear. It's a moot now but all my drives were mapped to the tiny pc.

But it's all sorted now! The problem was that I hadn't set up a password on my new windows installation. When I did that I could use the tips around the service logon mentioned in this link:

Thanks again for all the support offered. 

22 hours ago, uzio123 said:

HI,  whatever path you're trying to enter into Emby, make sure that you can enter the same thing into windows explorer and have it work there as well. If it doesn't work there, then it won't work in Emby Server. Please see if that helps.

Hi @Luke

Managed to sort this based on changing some credentials on the service element. The paths were all working in file explorer and we're copied and pasted. 

Thanks for your help anyway!

47 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI,  whatever path you're trying to enter into Emby, make sure that you can enter the same thing into windows explorer and have it work there as well. If it doesn't work there, then it won't work in Emby Server. Please see if that helps.

• Thanks 1