Permissions Issue - I Think

cgcmgr
Go to solution Solved by cgcmgr,

Hey everyone,

Yes, it's me again.  So I just noticed an issue I'm experiencing.  I have a test machine that I've been tinkering with and trying different things like installing TrueNAS 12 Core and updating to 13 then just just doing a clean install of 13, etc.  At this moment, I have a clean install of TreuNAS 13 Core and have manually install Emby 4.7.14.0.  I got everything working and wrote down the step by step instructions to follow for future installs.  While trying to create Libraries in Emby, I was unable to do so because Emby could not "see" my Media Dataset.  I resolved the issue by adjusting the permissions on my Media dataset.  I can now successfully create Libraries.  While I was tinkering with the permissions and Libraries on the test machine, I decided to look at the permissions for my Media dataset of my primary NAS. I also tried to create a new Test Library (which I hadn't tried to do in quite some time) just to see if the permissions were correct on the primary NAS.  Well, I can't create new Libraries.  When creating a new Library, I click on / and then I see a bunch of folders and I click on media, but then no folders show up to choose either my movies folder, TV Shows folder, etc.  The thing is, Emby does see the folders because all my media plays through Emby and if I add a new piece of media to an existing Library and sync the Library, Emby shows the new piece of media and is able to play it.  

As a test, I added a new Emby server and created the same Mount Points as the existing Emby server, see attachment.  So the new Emby is pointing to the same Media dataset as the original Emby server.  When I try to create a Library, I click on / and no other folders show up to choose form.  I do not have the choice of the media folder.  I find this odd since it is pointing to the same dataset, therefore using the same permissions.  

Obviously it worked in the past or I wouldn't have been able to create the existing Libraries.

So to give more info, I have a user named chris assigned to the dataset.  Chris has a UID and GID of 1000.  I have set the user Emby to use the same UID (1000) and GID (1000) and set the Emby Server to use the user emby.  In the permissions for the Media dataset, I have the user set as chris.

I can always play with the permissions on the dataset, but I'm afraid that if I break something permissions wise, Emby may not be able to access my media dataset at all.  If this happens, would just importing my TrueNAS config file put the permissions back to the way they were before I tinkered with them?  I guess I can try this on my Test machine, I mean, that's why I have it.

I'm just looking for suggestions.  It does seem like a permissions issue, doesn't it?

Chris

Mount Points.JPG

• Solution

Thanks for the link Luke.  It most certainly was a permissions issue.  I knew what had to be changed, but wasn't confident enough to do it.  I was afraid if I messed with the permissions, I may lose access to my media.  Well, today I decided to make the permissions change to what I thought it should be and it resolved the issue.  I'm still going to hold onto that PDF for future reference though.

Thanks again,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1