Missing Episode Notification

bobaldis

bobaldis

Hi,
Apologies if previous topic, I have searched in vain!

Sometimes for one reason or another an episode of a series existing series fails to download, it appears as "missing" in the series, it would be great if Emby could notify the Admin Account when this happens.

Also whilst typing, I thought of another scenario, the next season begins, so again a notification of a missing episode, the 1st in this instance would be fabulous.

Does this sound doable?

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

bobaldis
20 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Use *arr app for tracking. 

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Sorry, I looked at Plug-ins and cannot see this, so assume you are referring to something else, would it be possible to provide a little more detail?

Edited by bobaldis

darkassassin07
1 hour ago, bobaldis said:

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Sorry, I looked at Plug-ins and cannot see this, so assume you are referring to something else, would it be possible to provide a little more detail?

Emby is just for accessing your media libraries, it doesn't manage anything to do with media acquisition beyond live tv recording.

To manage the media files themselves and/or acquire more media; look into the 'arr suite of software. Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr, Prowlarr. (different projects, entirely separate from Emby).

I don't believe either of those will provide notifications, but they would be the ones to implement something like what you've requested, not Emby. Take the request to their forums.

bobaldis
5 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

Emby is just for accessing your media libraries, it doesn't manage anything to do with media acquisition beyond live tv recording.

To manage the media files themselves and/or acquire more media; look into the 'arr suite of software. Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr, Prowlarr. (different projects, entirely separate from Emby).

I don't believe either of those will provide notifications, but they would be the ones to implement something like what you've requested, not Emby. Take the request to their forums.

Thanks,

Perhaps my request was/is misunderstood, I know I have to obtain the media elsewhere, my request is regarding identifying if 1) For some reason an episode fails to download, it would be great for Emby to notify me so I can address the issue. 2) If a new season of a series I have downloaded previously starts and I've missed it.

Emby knows there's a missing episode, it would be great if it could either email me or surface it to my home page.

Regards,

Bob

darkassassin07

I do get what you're asking, but; this is a feature for media management/acquisition software, not media display/streaming software.

1) emby can't tell you if a download fails as it doesn't handle the downloading of media at all. Did it fail? Is it still pending/downloading? Did it ever start/try to grab it? Is it even a show you're monitoring for new episodes? Emby doesn't know any of this. Best it can do is say 'x episode(s) are missing' at the time of importing that series and maybe again on an interval. That can be a very large spammy list that few will find helpful.

2) all of the same questions apply to this point, as well as; when is the media actually 'released'? Production, Theaters, Digital, live TV, DVD? There's many dates and none will work for every bit of media everytime (some even change based on your region); so now emby has to decide which to use for which media. The only real option here would be to notify you of every single new episode as soon as it becomes apparent that it exists.

Beyond that is the fact that this sort of feature is primarily for piracy (grabbing new episodes as they release? Cmon, that's obvious...), an image Emby would definitely rather avoid. This is why acquisition/management and display/streaming are two separate things. How/where/if/when you collect media isn't Embys problem, they just display what you've got.

The closest I could ever see the Devs getting to this, mainly to avoid legal complications, is a notification that a scheduled live TV recording failed. That's probably already implemented (I don't use live tv features, so I'm not certain).

bobaldis
On 13/10/2023 at 02:11, darkassassin07 said:

Thanks for your comments, but would also appreciate some thoughts from the Emby Team on this too?

I do get what you're asking, but; this is a feature for media management/acquisition software, not media display/streaming software.

We are all welcome to our opinions and I feel this could be a useful feature within Emby.

1) emby can't tell you if a download fails as it doesn't handle the downloading of media at all. Did it fail? Is it still pending/downloading? Did it ever start/try to grab it? Is it even a show you're monitoring for new episodes? Emby doesn't know any of this. Best it can do is say 'x episode(s) are missing' at the time of importing that series and maybe again on an interval. That can be a very large spammy list that few will find helpful.

Not asking for Emby to monitor my downloads, as stated it knows when an episode is missing on it's Aired Date, there could be also be options on notifications, it could just notify once or once a week for example as the user prefers.

2) all of the same questions apply to this point, as well as; when is the media actually 'released'? Production, Theaters, Digital, live TV, DVD? There's many dates and none will work for every bit of media everytime (some even change based on your region); so now emby has to decide which to use for which media. The only real option here would be to notify you of every single new episode as soon as it becomes apparent that it exists.

Again, it clearly shows as "Missing", I'm not asking for any further checks just use the process already adopted. 

Beyond that is the fact that this sort of feature is primarily for piracy (grabbing new episodes as they release? Cmon, that's obvious...), an image Emby would definitely rather avoid. This is why acquisition/management and display/streaming are two separate things. How/where/if/when you collect media isn't Embys problem, they just display what you've got.

As above, only asking for notification of an existing state.

The closest I could ever see the Devs getting to this, mainly to avoid legal complications, is a notification that a scheduled live TV recording failed. That's probably already implemented (I don't use live tv features, so I'm not certain).

Whilst you have your opinions and they are as valid as mine, perhaps that is one for the Developers to answer themselves?

bakes82
5 hours ago, bobaldis said:

This request is dumb AF.  How often should you be notified, how you being notified?  What if the schedule changes?  This is exactly what the ARRs are for.  What happens when emby uses one lets say tmdb for tracking dates, but the real date on tvdb isnt being reflected in emby cus they use a diff api?  Far better things for time to be spent on. 

• Like 2

bobaldis
12 hours ago, bakes82 said:

This request is dumb AF.  How often should you be notified, how you being notified?  What if the schedule changes?  This is exactly what the ARRs are for.  What happens when emby uses one lets say tmdb for tracking dates, but the real date on tvdb isnt being reflected in emby cus they use a diff api?  Far better things for time to be spent on. 

Thanks for your comment.

Jason502

What a rude ass you are bakes... saying this is dumb as fuck. It isn't. Kodi does this easily and has for years. It's simple... If I watch E02 and E03 is missing.... I go to the series next time I watch and hit play, it plays E04 with no notification that E03 is missing. No it doesn't require emby to be a downloader nor would it require it to notify on a schedule. It is simple... I start watching E04, it checks to see if I watched E03. If I have, do nothing, if I have not, then notify. To your other ignorant comments, Emby already shows placeholders for episodes whether or not they are downloaded.

Edited by Jason502
  • Like 1

darkassassin07
27 minutes ago, Jason502 said:

I start watching E04, it checks to see if I watched E03. If I have, do nothing, if I have not, then notify.

This is entirely different from what you've asked for throughout this whole thread....

You went from

'notify an admin that an episode of a show is missing when it airs OR when it fails to download'  Things emby is not aware of.

to

'notify the user that the episode they are currently starting isn't the immediate next episode in the series' something actually feasible.

These are two very very different things.

Edited by darkassassin07

bobaldis
20 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

This is entirely different from what you've asked for throughout this whole thread....

You went from

'notify an admin that an episode of a show is missing when it airs OR when it fails to download'  Things emby is not aware of.

to

'notify the user that the episode they are currently starting isn't the immediate next episode in the series' something actually feasible.

These are two very very different things.

Perhaps you missed the comments are from 2 different people, although I do like @Jason502comment/suggestion also.

As I previously stated Emby is aware the episode is missing as it identifies it as such, all that would be needed is to surface that to the preferred user/s.

Everyone has their own preferences, I'm not trying to force mine upon you, just asking the developers to consider it as a selectable option if meets your needs.

Edited by bobaldis