Message don't respect TimeoutMs

Neofi

Hi

When I send a message, the TimeoutMS is not respect it always seems at 5 seconds, also if I put 20 seconds or 1 seconds

http://IP:8096/emby/Sessions/MYIDHERE/Message

{"Text":"sss","TimeoutMs":1000}'

Hi, it's true, yes. Over time this param has evolved to just be a yes or no rather than an exact timeout.

in other words, any value other than zero will result in a toast-style popup that goes away after a few seconds. A 0 value will result in an alert box that requires the user to acknowledge.

Thank you for the fast reply. I was following this documentation: https://dev.emby.media/reference/RestAPI/SessionsService/postSessionsByIdMessage.html

If I set the TimeoutMS to 0, I experience the same behaviour in the app on my Fire Stick. However, if I don't pass the TimeoutMS parameter, in the browser, I need to acknowledge the message, tnothing change in the fire stick's app

On 10/11/2023 at 6:39 PM, Neofi said:

If I set the TimeoutMS to 0, I experience the same behaviour in the app on my Fire Stick. However, if I don't pass the TimeoutMS parameter, in the browser, I need to acknowledge the message, tnothing change in the fire stick's app

Correct.

• 5 months later...
bakes82
On 10/13/2023 at 2:12 PM, Luke said:

Correct.

Where is the list of apps and how this works?  You just said "correct" which contradicts your previous statement of a yes/no flag.

What clients support the "acknowledgment" flow?

What clients only support the popup, how can we set a longer time out?

11 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

Where is the list of apps and how this works?  You just said "correct" which contradicts your previous statement of a yes/no flag.

What clients support the "acknowledgment" flow?

What clients only support the popup, how can we set a longer time out?

Generally speaking, a timeoutms > 0 will result in a toast being displayed that slides in and out. 

A timeoutms of 0 will be a dialog that requires confirmation.

bakes82
33 minutes ago, Luke said:

Generally speaking, a timeoutms > 0 will result in a toast being displayed that slides in and out. 

A timeoutms of 0 will be a dialog that requires confirmation.

The logic doesnt seem correct, TimeoutMS = 0 on web browser displays toast, TimeoutMS = NULL will display popup, same applies for iOS,

Now are you going to tell me for roku it has to be 0 for popup and not null?  This is the kind of stuff that is super annoying.

TimeoutMS = 0 on web browser displays toast,

I tested and I'm seeing the popup.

bakes82

What are you calling a popup?  Because if it comes in and only stays for 2-3 seconds Im calling that a "toast".

The popup is the one that appears with the close button, both options are set with the same command via the TimeoutMS....

I'm trying to figure out what clients support what, and ideally, we should be able to set the delay as the field states.

Popup (TimeoutMS = Null)

image.png.a37fba7c35cf18763b813fb75e099412.png

Toast (TimeoutMS != null)

image.png.fdf524ce612d95c06974c96f20175b6a.png

@bakes82You said many time you do not use Emby any more, why now wasting the dev time with your worthless posts.

bakes82
3 hours ago, Abobader said:

@bakes82You said many time you do not use Emby any more, why now wasting the dev time with your worthless posts.

I dont need to use the product personally to be able to create/sell plugins/integrations/apps for people.  I dont think I have ever used it personally beyond testing it every now and then on major versions. I dont use alot of products personally but I know how their APIs work for other integrations lol.  

Im confused how these posts are worthless, there is a provided API/SDK the API says the field is used as a time out the Dev says its a yes no flag but the information given wasnt correct.... So I guess if you dont want people to use the SDK, then remove it.  Its not documented for the most part, not every device client functions the same way, so the SDK becomes very hard to use when dealing with devices and interactions with the users UI when they dont implement the same functionality, but yet its somehow pointless to ask for the clarification on how its expected to work on each device since there seems to be confusion on how its working from the Dev themselves ....

This is what Im talking about in the SDK, TimeoutMs is a nullable int, when null it will show with a close button, when not null it will show as a non settable (short 2-3 second) faded toast.  Sure seems clear, but from the above use he says on a firestick null and not null make no difference, but for the web browser it does, so now this complicates things even more since it doesnt seem that the clients are coded in the same format, so whos issue is that?  If I made a plugin and said a popup will appear that requires a user to close it and then some UIs dont people will come complain to me because they didnt see the message or something on XYZ device ....  Hence I now apparently need to make a matrix of what devices support what commands.

_sessionManager.SendMessageCommand(null, sessionId, new MessageCommand
                                                    {
                                                        Header    = "Warning",
                                                        Text      = msg,
                                                        TimeoutMs = _pluginUiOptions.MessagesRequireClose ? null : 1
                                                    }, new CancellationToken());
  • Thanks 1

Good point, and I was sorry if I misunderstand your idea.

I removed the post moderation from your account.