How does the sync Android app to Emby server work?

guill69f

guill69f

Hi, i have been watching an episode of a tv show yesterday, which i had downloaded to the emby app on my android device. Episode status is watched on the device, but it has not been updated on the Emby server side despite the device and the emby server have been on the same network for a whole day. Do i need to do anything manually to get the sync to work? thanks

I have found this post where "background sync" is mentionned, but i am not sure i understand what this is and if there is a way to force it:

Edited by guill69f

• 3 weeks later...
guill69f

Hi, sorry for late reply. I have loaded a new serie in the app now, just lacking time these days / weeks to watch it 😑

Will report when I start watching it and see what happens to the watched episodes.

guill69f

Actually, a thing i noticed again while downloading content on the app.

In that case a 2 seasons tv show of 15 episodes (7 for season 1 and 8 for season 2). Emby app (v.3.3.40 on Samsung S10+) shows indeed a marker of 15 episodes on the tv show poster, and 7 episodes and 8 episodes on the posters for seasons 1 and 2, but when I go into season 1, I can see that only 5 episodes have been downloaded, (episodes 1 and 7 missing) and only 6 downloads for season 2 (episodes 1 and 2 missing).

I am quite sure the missing episodes are still in the download queue (can not check and confirm at the moment, I am not at home and the server is switched off) but for some reasons they are stuck there. The server was on for many hours, so there were plenty of time to do the download before it switched off, so the reason the episodes did not download is not because the server stopped.

I noticed similar issues a few weeks / months back trying the emby app, and for that reason started to use Yatse instead. Both are great apps and i really would like the Emby app to work. Any ideas? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 2:36 PM, guill69f said:

Hi, sorry for late reply. I have loaded a new serie in the app now, just lacking time these days / weeks to watch it 😑

Will report when I start watching it and see what happens to the watched episodes.

It's not instantaneous. The information gets sent to the server during the next background sync.

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2023 at 2:36 PM, guill69f said:

@guill69fhas this helped answer your question?

guill69f

Hi, yes it answered my question so in that aspect the thread can be closed.

However I am not using the Emby app for watching downloaded content offline, in the case of tv shows i am still experiencing situations where some episodes are not downloaded even if they are visible in the download queue. So for that very specific case i use Yatse instead.

But Emby app is great on local network or remotely to stream from NAS. Taking the chance of this post to congratulate on last version of Ember server: works like a charm, much faster than what it was before. great job!

• Thanks 1