Updating Emby Jail from 12 to 13

cgcmgr

cgcmgr

Hey everyone,

I just built a new NAS based on TrueNAS Core 13 and have imported my TrueNAS Core 12 pool which contains my Emby Server, and have imported my TrueNAS Config File as well.  Emby is working just fine, but the Jail is based on 12.3-RELEASE-p12 (Emby was installed originally on my TrueNAS Core 12 machine).  To keep everything updated and in line with Core 13, I'd like to update the Jail.  I'm pretty sure this will break Emby as Emby is based on 12.  If I update the Jail to a 13 Jail would I just have to perform an update of Emby from 12 to 13?  I'm currently on version 4.7.14.0 of Emby.  Can I just run this command to update to the TrueNAS Core 13 version of Emby 4.7.14.0?

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.14.0/emby-server-freebsd13_4.7.14.0_amd64.pkg

That's the command I always use to update Emby when newer versions come out, but I just select the version based on freebsd12 like below.

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.14.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.14.0_amd64.pkg

Thanks,

Chris

HI, to update the server on this platform you should install the newer version the same way you installed the initial version, just on top of itself. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Hey Luke,

So, on a test machine, I installed TrueNAS 12 and then manually installed Emby.  The Emby Jail was based on 12.4 and working.  I upgraded to TrueNAS 13.  I then performed and upgrade of the Jail from 12.4 to 13.2.  This of course broke Emby as I thought it would.  I then installed Emby, using the TrueNAS 13 link, on top of the existing Emby and Emby started to work again.  So I'm happily on TrueNAS Core 13, with a 13.2 Emby Jail.  Time to do it on my real NAS now.

• 2 weeks later...

So it didn't go too well.  I purposely created a backup Emby server in case I had issues doing this and of course I did.

I'm getting the attached error message when trying to update my emby-server jail from 12.3-RELEASE-p12 to 13.2 - The attached error is actually when trying to update the Jail within the Jail Shell, but I get the same message when trying the below steps.

In the TrueNAS shell:

1. iocage console emby-server

2. service emby-server stop

3. Exit (I'm now at the root of TrueNAS)

4. iocage fetch

5. Have choice of 12.4, 13.1 or 13.2 - I chose 13.2 and also tried with 13.1

6. Iocage upgrade emby-server -r 13.2-Release

That's when I get the error message.  So currently, I have a 12.3 and a 13.1 Emby Jail.  They both work, I would have liked to get the 12.3 updated to 13.1 or 13.2 since I'm on TrueNAS 13.  If someone can figure this out great, otherwise I may just delete the Jail and recreate it as a 13.1 or 13.2 Jail

Just some extra info.  This is a fresh install of TrueNAS 13 on a new build  However, the pool was imported from my original NAS and it was created in TrueNAS 11 and then updated to 12 at one point.  I believe that emby-server Jail was created while on TrueNAS 12 and obviously in a 12.3 Jail.  Not sure if that means anything as to why it won't update.Error.JPG.061112fcb2f997196d6f3aabae68586c.JPG 

Chris

Jails.JPG

Just letting you know I tried the suggestions in this post - https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/update-freenas-version-of-emby-jail.83296/ and they did not work for me.

This one has to do with Plex, but was wondering if something similar could be at play here - https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/ewacpe/help_just_updated_to_113_cant_update_plex_pass/

Chris

• Thanks 1

Baenwort
On 10/22/2023 at 2:42 PM, cgcmgr said:

So it didn't go too well.  I purposely created a backup Emby server in case I had issues doing this and of course I did.

I'm getting the attached error message when trying to update my emby-server jail from 12.3-RELEASE-p12 to 13.2 - The attached error is actually when trying to update the Jail within the Jail Shell, but I get the same message when trying the below steps.

In the TrueNAS shell:

1. iocage console emby-server

2. service emby-server stop

3. Exit (I'm now at the root of TrueNAS)

4. iocage fetch

5. Have choice of 12.4, 13.1 or 13.2 - I chose 13.2 and also tried with 13.1

6. Iocage upgrade emby-server -r 13.2-Release

That's when I get the error message.  So currently, I have a 12.3 and a 13.1 Emby Jail.  They both work, I would have liked to get the 12.3 updated to 13.1 or 13.2 since I'm on TrueNAS 13.  If someone can figure this out great, otherwise I may just delete the Jail and recreate it as a 13.1 or 13.2 Jail

Just some extra info.  This is a fresh install of TrueNAS 13 on a new build  However, the pool was imported from my original NAS and it was created in TrueNAS 11 and then updated to 12 at one point.  I believe that emby-server Jail was created while on TrueNAS 12 and obviously in a 12.3 Jail.  Not sure if that means anything as to why it won't update.Error.JPG.061112fcb2f997196d6f3aabae68586c.JPG 

Chris

Jails.JPG

Are you still trying to accomplish this?

If so you've run into one of the problems with plug-ins instead of using a base jail that you customize. It is possible to work through this (I've accomplished keeping my current jail alive from 11.3 to 13.1) but there is an easier solution.

You create a new Emby jail (plug-in or base jail) and then restore from either the "Backup & Restore" plug-in inside Emby Server or by copying over the server files manually (ensure you stop the service and halt the jail before copying the files between the two). 

• Agree 1