Browser with HEVC support

Ouroboruss

Ouroboruss

Hi

Are there any browsers out there that support HEVC so I can direct play my mkv files?

I read that chrome is supposed to support it but I have tested with chrome and it still transcodes my HEVC files

Thanks

GrimReaper

Well, caniuse states for Chrome:

Supported for all devices on macOS (>= Big Sur 11.0) and Android (>= 5.0), for devices with hardware support on Windows (>= Windows 8), and for devices with hardware support powered by VAAPI on Linux and ChromeOS

So I'd assume there is a way to make it work, maybe some fellow Linux user might jump in. 

@Q-Droid

Q-Droid

I don't use Linux desktop, only headless server. But according to caniuse as linked above there is support in Chrome for HW via VAAPI.

The second part of the OP question -> direct play mkv files?  I don't think any browser supports this right now.

Ouroboruss

All my files are mkv, I am able to direct play H.264 encoded files just not HEVC

I guess I will need to encode them as H.264

Q-Droid

You shouldn't have to re-encode. If you're streaming with Emby on a browser that supports HEVC then it should direct play/direct stream regardless of the container format. MKV or MP4 should only matter if you're trying to open such files in the browser to play them directly, literally.

But as always there may be caveats. Like whether your hardware can handle the media codecs and if it can't then the browser doesn't really matter.