mwongjay

mwongjay

Server versions:
4.8.0.48-beta
4.8.0.49-beta

AFTV versions:
2.0.90a
2.0.93a

When user selects the profile to use and types in the password (or no password) then clicks OK the app freezes and sometimes crashes back to the AFTV home screen and other times screen stays black. In both situations the client successfully authenticates with the server, however, something is happening after the response is received from the server that is causing a failure. 

I am able to successfully log in via web app and IOS which don't appear to be affected by this bug.

When I initially encountered it I was running 4.8.0.49-beta and 2.0.93a. I uninstalled the AFTV app and reinstalled and was no longer able to log in. I then reverted the server version to 4.8.0.48-beta and that didn't fix. I saw the beta AFTV app was 2.0.90a so I uninstalled 2.0.93a and installed 2.0.90a and that still didn't fix. 

Seems related to the following topic, however, unlike the OP the issue isn't addressed on my AFTV: 

Attached the log file.

embyserver.txt

mwongjay
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Can't say I have a good idea what is happening but have you tried clearing app data?

Yes. I've cleared data and uninstalled/reinstalled several times. I just sent the logs from the app at 4:30P ET after reproducing the issue. Additionally, I factory reset the AFTV device and it still black screens

Edited by mwongjay

If you have a proxy or VPN involved, try disabling it.  It looks like something is interfering with the payload to the app.

mwongjay
39 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you have a proxy or VPN involved, try disabling it.  It looks like something is interfering with the payload to the app.

Do you have the api endpoint of the failing request? Is it `/emby/Users/authenticatebyname`?

The 2 affected AFTV's are on the same network with no vpn configured between the devices and the gateway and both exhibit the same behavior. However, IOS and web app (laptop) on the same network have no issues logging in and playing content.

I cannot tell exactly which endpoint but it looks like these apps are remote to the server - or, at least, they are accessing it via a domain name not a local IP address.  Something in the middle appears to be messing with the results because we're not getting back valid json.

mwongjay

I've narrowed the possibilities down to Cloudflare's proxy. Interestingly, it's been about a year since I've made any changes in Cloudflare and only external AFTVs are affected AFAIK right now. After disabling proxying and waiting about 5-10 min and retesting requests were successful. I then re-enabled the proxy and requests started failing. I'm unsure what's changed within Cloudflare, however, I did notice under Security > Events a request to the subdomain hosting Emby was issued a managed challenge. I added a WAF rule to skip super bot fight rules, but that didn't work.

mwongjay

Another interesting point is when I was able to repro the issue I tested using the silk browser on AFTV and was able to successfully log in. Seems like Cloudflare may be using the browser agent to alter requests when proxying requests.

1 hour ago, mwongjay said:

Another interesting point is when I was able to repro the issue I tested using the silk browser on AFTV and was able to successfully log in. Seems like Cloudflare may be using the browser agent to alter requests when proxying requests.

Maybe you can Control its decision making on this?

There have been multiple reports in the past with CF interfering with Fire apps specifically.  I can't find any definitive fix at this point as most just moved off of CF when they encountered this.  Our standard app skirts the issue I think because it looks like a web browser to the device.