Output at content's native resolution for external video processor?

voodoo5_6k

voodoo5_6k

Hi there,

Is it possible (or planned) to get the output set up to allow display mode changes? The goal is to output at content's native resolution, so that an external video processor can handle upscaling to final resolution. So, for instance, a DVD based *.mkv would be output as 480p/576p. Then, my Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242-18G would do the upscaling, DTM etc.pp.

Comparable to the Kaleidescape Strato player which has this type of feature: "Select Video Output Behavior" --> "Allow display mode changes (use external video scaler)".

Or on the Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo I have (with Kodi as the library manager), which can be configured to do exactly that (match resolution).

I was thinking of potentially replacing the Dune and have everything on the Apple TV 4K (the current one with ethernet). I already have emby Server up and running on TrueNAS SCALE, with Premiere, and it looks good. I like it so far. Support for *.nfo files is good (although the "namedseason" tag in tvshow.nfo is ignored - this should be fixed some time, right?). I'll play around with this for a while. On the Apple TV 4K itself, I have installed the official emby client.

I know that the Apple TV 4K can output 480p/576p etc. as this display mode can be set via settings --> video and audio. That works fine. But, obviously, this is not my desired approach for resolution matching ;) Somehow, the emby client should find a way to trigger that automatically, based on the respective content.

Thanks!

PS: Let me know if this should be some sort of feature request rather than a thread here.

Hi, our video player is mpv embedded into the app. I would think it can be controlled to do this.

voodoo5_6k

Hi Luke, thanks for the reply!

That doesn't sound too bad. I don't remember any possibility on the Apple TV emby client to configure something looking like resolution matching or allow display mode changes etc. How would I attempt such a configuration? Or is this more a "it should be possible but the settings aren't available yet" thing?

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 3:47 PM, voodoo5_6k said:

Hi Luke, thanks for the reply!

That doesn't sound too bad. I don't remember any possibility on the Apple TV emby client to configure something looking like resolution matching or allow display mode changes etc. How would I attempt such a configuration? Or is this more a "it should be possible but the settings aren't available yet" thing?

Thanks again!

HI, these are planned for future updates to the Emby Apple TV app. Thanks.

voodoo5_6k

Thanks for following up! I'll keep an eye on this sub-forum then.

PS: I really like emby so far. I have replaced Kodi on my Dune with emby (Android TV application). Cool, that it natively supports using the Dune's internal player as an external player, kudos! Kodi needed a 3rd party wrapper for that.

• Thanks 1