Hardware detection fails in Docker with 4.8.0.51 (only)

Shikasta

Shikasta

Hi all,

I've found an issue with hardware detection that breaks somewhere in 4.8.  I'd go back to 4.7 but I hadn't realised I had started off on the beta branch until I'd been using emby for some months, and too long to redo everything.

I have emby 4.8.0.51 in docker from the official image.  I realised it was only using software decoding and so went to fix that by adding `--device /dev/dri` and the video and render groups with GIDLIST.  However, ffdetect crashes with a bus error (please see attached log files). 

The host is Ubuntu 20.04, and I've not found a 4.8 deb file to install.  After trying the 4.7 deb, where hardware detection worked, I then went to trying 4.7.14.0 docker image (with a different data directory) and lo, it works the same (see other log files).  The compose file is identical, so my hunch is that there's something changed between 4.7 and 4.8 that my hardware doesn't like. 

I'll test with some builds in between, see if I can get a point where it breaks.  Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Thanks all

hardware_detection-4.8.txt ffdetect-4.8.txt ffdetect-4.7.err ffdetect-4.7.txt hardware_detection-4.7.txt

Edited by softworkz

Shikasta

Ugh, sorry.  Testing was a lot faster than I thought.  The issue is actually only in 4.8.0.51.  The prior versions all do hardware detection just fine.

If someone can edit the title?

On 10/6/2023 at 2:31 PM, Shikasta said:

If someone can edit the title?

Done.

On 10/6/2023 at 2:31 PM, Shikasta said:

The issue is actually only in 4.8.0.51.  The prior versions all do hardware detection just fine.

Thanks a lot for analyzing!

Unfortunately, some things have gone wrong with the .51 beta build process. Could you please try with .52 once it's out?

Thanks

Shikasta

I'll see what I can do.  I found a (newer) graphics card lying around over the weekend and stuck it in.  Took some fiddling but got it working on 4.8.0.49.  Once .52 is out I'll try that, and see if switching back cards also works.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Shikasta

Hi, sorry, forgot to update the thread.  Yes hardware detection works again on .52, for the NVIDIA card at least.  I've not wanted to shut down the machine to try the older ATI card again though.  Probably assume it's ok, but if you get other reports of issues with older ATI cards I'm willing to give it a go to help diagnose.  Thanks

• Thanks 1