Emby Not Connecting on Local Network

Jonathan1683
Go to solution Solved by Jonathan1683,

Jonathan1683

Hello,

I realize this is probably an issue with my router, but I thought I would ask here anyway. I upgraded my router from a Nighthawk X10 to a Nighthawk RS700S and now I can't connect locally on the network, but it does work correctly remotely. I feel like it was working fine last night, but today I can't connect from any device AppleTV/iPhone/Browser I have the port forwarding setup correctly and the app is allowed through Windows firewall. I also disabled Windows firewall completely and the problem persists. One weird thing I noticed is that if I go to http://192.168.1.101:port it pulls some info from the server since it redirects to http://192.168.1.101:port/web/index.html so I assume it's getting to the server somewhat it just won't establish a connection. Also, when I connect to the iPhone app, it says the server needs to be updated, but the server is up to date.

jaycedk

Can you check if the server still has the same IP after the router switch, especially if the server uses dynamic ip.

also check that the server network is set to private and not public.

Jonathan1683

The server has the correct address I used address reservation to keep it at 192.168.1.101, good idea with the network as well because I actually did have it set to public earlier I'm guessing it defaulted to that and thought that was the issue, but I changed it to private and I still have the same issue. I am starting to think the issue is not with the router because I installed emby portable on a different port on my laptop and it connected immediately with no configuration at all in the router from my phone locally. I also noticed that I am not getting an unable to connect error, but a connection reset so I think it's reaching the server, but there is some other issue.

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::64a5:7c87:883b:254e%3(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 5, 2023 10:16:57 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, October 6, 2023 10:16:57 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 63983769
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-23-61-A9-8A-D0-50-99-67-67-6A
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

jaycedk

Can you ping you server ip from your laptop

Can you turn off IPv6 for lan in you router.

And see if that helps.

Jonathan1683

IPV6 was already disabled in my router so I am not sure how it still had that address. I disabled it in the adapter settings in Windows and it no longer shows it. I have been rebooting my server and router all night. I just did it again right now after turning off IPV6 and still no luck :(

Pinging 192.168.1.101 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D0-50-99-67-67-6A
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 5, 2023 10:16:57 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, October 6, 2023 10:16:57 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Jonathan1683

I just tried the portable version on my server and it's working so something got corrupted on my server install. Is there a way to reinstall core files without losing any settings or metadata ?

edit: so something is wrong with the port. I changed the portable version to the port i had the other installed version and now I am getting the same issue with the portable one.

edit2: so the issue is in the router, if I turn off port forwarding I can connect locally, but I obviously would not be able to connect remotely. I have never had any issues like this using Netgear routers for 20 years very weird. Not sure what to do now.

Thank you

Edited by Jonathan1683

jaycedk

That sucks, so no fix jet.

But the issue has been acknowledged and a fix is coming. 

Not sure if you can find a older firmware and try with that.

Just be careful not to brick your new router. 

rbjtech

On the LAN - there is no need for port forwarding, infact there is no need for a router !

If you need remote - then I would just use the old router to forward onto the new router until the f/w is fixed - or return it.

Edited by rbjtech

blgentry

This won't help the OP but...

I own a Netgear Nighthawk router.  I bought it when my preferred brand was out of stock on Amazon.  I have never been happy with the Netgear at all.  The management interface is slow.  The interface is very odd.  Configuring things like DHCP reservations is extremely slow and usually requires a router restart to "take".   It has stuff hidden in various "advanced" parts the menu that are not organized the same as the standard menu.  I felt like I spent my life with that router trying to convince it to do what I wanted.  It would eventually do what I wanted after much hunting and WAITING around.

This family of routers seems to be designed for the very non-technical crowd to do as many automatic things as possible.  After using mine for about 3 years I got a different one from a friend and was immediately happier with everything about it.  Netgear routers are not on my personal recommended list.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

Jonathan1683

I am still waiting on netgear to solve the firmware issue. They sent me a link to download it, but the link didn't work lol.

• Solution
Jonathan1683

netgear just called me and sent me some beta  firmware that fixed the issue.

Thank you guys :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1