server not starting, refused connection

cryhavoc
Go to solution Solved by cryhavoc,

cryhavoc

my first emby fails to run, experience, and not loving it. 

server access is refused attempting to start server on qnap.  it appears the emby server is trying to access the wrong port.  changing the qnap port to what emby apparently wants ends with a shock:  emby server starts loading, brief blue screen, and then creates another qnap home screen--a second instance of qnap logged in.  no errors from emby, but no access either.  strange.

is there way to edit the emby server connection configuration without running the server?  if so, how?

I am not familiar with qnap beyond the simple gui I normally use, so an answer referring to a directory--please explain how I get to it.  for example, I have yet to find emby anything from an ubuntu terminal on the qnap, from sudo -i.  embarrassing, but I am missing something stupid and my patience has run out trying to get to /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata.

I used the addon to backup server configuration--not lately, but does it require the server running to restore? 

lastly, assuming the server is toast, will removing the server, to start over, remove the metadata?  I am will not take that step until I give up on manual solutions.  anyway, some apps provide the option to keep data, but no clue what to expect on a qnap with emby remove.  

thank you.

cryhavoc

it was late and I left out that my access to the qnap is through the local ubuntu client and therein using a terminal as root, sudo -i.   I cannot get to the aforementioned directory.  I cannot find emby-server using this unbuntu client.  

recommendations welcome.

thank you.

cryhavoc

scraped the ubuntu attempt; ssh to the server and promptly got to the aforementioned directory, kindof, the path is not the same.  removed the dlls, after stopping emby server, and starting the server, it recreated the dlls, but did the same thing.  it starts to load the blueish screen, like normal, for maybe 5 secs and then creates another instance of a qnap local screen.  no error and no access to emby server

no clue what is going on.  ideas welcome.

what I hope to get from someone is whether this is dead and start again or ideas how to correct the connection configuration.

thank you.

cryhavoc

guessing the problem lies here.

<ServerConfiguration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<EnableDebugLevelLogging>false</EnableDebugLevelLogging>

<EnableAutoUpdate>true</EnableAutoUpdate>

<LogFileRetentionDays>3</LogFileRetentionDays>

<RunAtStartup>true</RunAtStartup>

<IsStartupWizardCompleted>true</IsStartupWizardCompleted>

<CachePath />

<EnableUPnP>false</EnableUPnP>

<PublicPort>8096</PublicPort>

<PublicHttpsPort>8920</PublicHttpsPort>

<HttpServerPortNumber>9191</HttpServerPortNumber>

<HttpsPortNumber>8920</HttpsPortNumber>

<EnableHttps>false</EnableHttps>

<IsPortAuthorized>true</IsPortAuthorized>

I do not know why this page adds the spaces, but whatever.  that info is from system.xml.  the ip is correct later in the xml.  when I open the server it continues to try 8096, with correct ip address, no matter which port I put in there.  however, opening the server no longer opens another instance of qnap home screen, but refused connection.  

I know you are busy, but some support could save me some time.     

thank you

cryhavoc

last information waiting for support:  removing the system.xml and restarting emby produces the system.xml with the following:

<ServerConfiguration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<EnableDebugLevelLogging>false</EnableDebugLevelLogging>

<EnableAutoUpdate>true</EnableAutoUpdate>

<LogFileRetentionDays>3</LogFileRetentionDays>

<RunAtStartup>true</RunAtStartup>

<IsStartupWizardCompleted>false</IsStartupWizardCompleted>

<EnableUPnP>true</EnableUPnP>

<PublicPort>8096</PublicPort>

<PublicHttpsPort>8920</PublicHttpsPort>

<HttpServerPortNumber>8096</HttpServerPortNumber>

<HttpsPortNumber>8920</HttpsPortNumber>

<EnableHttps>false</EnableHttps>

<IsPortAuthorized>true</IsPortAuthorized>

so, starting the server with new system.xml changed the hspn to 8096, from 9191, which is what it presents, 8096, when trying to open.  however, when I open the server after new system.xml, unable to find specified file.

I hope someone here has a clue how to overcome this.

thank you.

Hi, yes what you see now are the defaults. Maybe you tried out Emby server a long time ago and had remnants left over? We have never used 9191 as a default. 

based on that if you want to make a fresh start you could delete the entire server data folder. Or we can troubleshoot this with a server log:

Thanks.

cryhavoc

Thank you for the reply, Luke.  

9191 is the port I use for the qnap, access.  Once I set the hspn to 9191, system.xml, then I at least get refused to connect.   it defaults, as stated, back to 8920, I think, not in front of me.  with the default it promptly presents unable to find specified file.  it tries with 9191, even get a temporary blue screen--looks like it is trying, but something stops it. okay, I guess my ignorance confuses how this server uses the ports based on your response.  I will stop messing with the system.xml.  

what happens when I delete the server data folder?  is that the same as removing the app and starting over?  I am trying, I think obviously, to avoid losing the metadata especially all the manual work I have done.  emby server is awesome; this problem is not emby's doing; but metadata continues to be touchy topic.  I hope to avoid manually repeating what I have done over the past 2  years--lots of manual input.

I will look into getting you logs as of the time when this nightmare happened, but I have to leave for a bit.  I hope you respond to my question about removing the data folder.  if no difference, why remove the folder vs removing the app from within qnap apps?

lastly, is there a way to save the metadata from my position--unable to get to the server?

in haste, hope this is clear enough.

Thank you, Luke.

what happens when I delete the server data folder?  is that the same as removing the app and starting over?

Hi, not exactly. When you just uninstall on NAS platforms such as QNAP, the server data folder gets left behind, so it's possible you could have an installation from years ago and just forgotten about it.

cryhavoc

I am having trouble with scp from the qnap, of course, for the logs, and not much time left for a while to figure out what I am missing.  arrgh.  I can paste from the txt files if you do not mind telling me what I should look for.  one log, right at ground0 time-wise, is long and has many error reports--much longer than the other emby-server log files.

not sure what you mean about forgotten installations.  I have one instance of emby on the qnap and I have never uninstalled it, 2+ years.  I have installed earlier versions, but never uninstalled.  so, if I uninstall the server from qnap apps, 1288x quts hero 5.1.1.2488, the data folder, i.e., metadata, is not removed?  I know I can mv the metadata folder and experiment, but prefer to avoid that kind of testing until it is determined this is a trashed server.  

my gut tells me this is a simple but elusive fix, but I am getting close to throwing in the towel.  as I told you, the ip address changed and then emby server interrupted during restart, restarted from within emby server, and kaboom. I have no idea what refuses the connection.

I appreciate your tolerance of my ignorance.  when I have time, I enjoy digging, but I never mess with emby server--so I am learning as I go with this problem.  

Thank you for the help.

cryhavoc

I provide many logs: 1 from the day before, when all was working, 1 close to ground0 and then several after that are much smaller.  even for the talented/familiar, it is a bunch of stuff especially when already busy, so I am not rushing this.  I appreciate whatever you can read, and hopefully can get me a verdict.  I am surprised to see loads of error reports from the day before.   

also, I saw a post dating 2017 about possibly losing everything with uninstall on qnap from qnap apps.  I understand there are different ways to go about this, but I assume to uninstall is to start over. 

Thank you.

embyserver-63832060839.txt embyserver-63832127302.txt embyserver-63832128318.txt embyserver-63832128378.txt embyserver-63832128455.txt embyserver-63832128476.txt embyserver-63832129884.txt embyserver-63832131372.txt

• Solution
cryhavoc

I woke up with the seemingly silly notion to put the router back to the address it changed to when the server unplugged.  I changed the static ip to what it was when kaboom; I removed the dlls from plugins and had emby recreate system.xml.  welcome to emby.  it works, nothing lost.  I assume my system configs require updating, but wanted to get this update out asap to possibly save time for someone.

Thank you, Luke. Your support helped solve this.