Remap next/previous media controls of Bluetooth devices

trevormoss

trevormoss

Specifically for audio books and probably podcasts, the next and previous buttons should be remapped to skip forward 10/15/30 seconds either as default or at least as an option. When listening to longer form content such as audio books or podcasts it's not common to want to skip chapters/episodes. More likely, someone is to want to skip forward or back a small amount of time so the default being moving an entire track is not useful for these buttons in this situation. 

If this is already a thing and I'm just not seeing it, let me know. 

Hi.  Isn't next chapter/track how any other media player would handle these buttons? e.g. Audible or Pandora or Spotify?

I wouldn't think we'd want to do something completely different than the norm here.

trevormoss

I double-checked in as many places as I could. With both my cars, 2 sets of headphones, and my smart watch I tested the next button function in Spotify, Audible, and Libby. In all these cases long-form audio (audio books and podcasts) skip either 10, 15, or 30 seconds, depending on the app. These are all the places I can test and maybe some other people can corroborate with more anecdotal evidence, but it seems that currently Emby is the outlier and making this change would bring it within the norm.

trevormoss

The android app. I would assume this change would only be pertinent on the mobile apps, since on a TV or a computer Bluetooth media control would be rare. I can try to hunt down an iPhone to see if the behavior is similar there. 

trevormoss

The physical button on a Bluetooth device that is mapped to 'Next' or 'Previous'. On some devices, like a car, it's a hard-coded button that is always 'Next' and is usually labeled with the 2 right triangles and a verticle line, and some devices, like modern Bluetooth earbuds, it's a configurable button action like double-tap, triple-tap, or press and hold. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2023 at 12:52 PM, trevormoss said:

I tested the next button function in Spotify, Audible, and Libby. In all these cases long-form audio (audio books and podcasts) skip either 10, 15, or 30 seconds, depending on the app