Thumbnail Generation Incomplete

impaych
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

impaych

Hi,

When I copy a TV show or movie to a folder the .bif file is automatically generated.  However, most of the time it only shows unique thumbnails for a portion of the show/movie.  If I FF through a movie I typically only have unique thumbs for 1/3 to 2/3's of the movie and the last thumb is repeated for the rest of the movie.  If I delete the .bif file and manually recreate it then it is fine.  The length of the file doesn't seem to matter as it happens with TV shows and movies.  Any reason this is happening?  Is there anything I should be doing to ensure that the thumbnail files are complete?  I'm running Emby Server Portable 4.7.14.0 .

Thanks,
Steve

Hello impaych,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Solution
rbjtech
22 minutes ago, impaych said:

Hi,

When I copy a TV show or movie to a folder the .bif file is automatically generated.  However, most of the time it only shows unique thumbnails for a portion of the show/movie.  If I FF through a movie I typically only have unique thumbs for 1/3 to 2/3's of the movie and the last thumb is repeated for the rest of the movie.  If I delete the .bif file and manually recreate it then it is fine.  The length of the file doesn't seem to matter as it happens with TV shows and movies.  Any reason this is happening?  Is there anything I should be doing to ensure that the thumbnail files are complete?  I'm running Emby Server Portable 4.7.14.0 .

Thanks,
Steve

So I have seen this before - with real time monitoring, emby may be picking up the file before the file has actually finished copying.   Thus when emby creates the thumbnails, the actual file is not there to finish the process.

This may not be a proper solution for you, but try this - rename the file to .tmp before you copy it - then when it's copied, rename it back to .mkv etc or whatever it's original container was.

If this solves the problem - then I suspect this is what is happening.

The solutions are as follow -

1. only create the BIF files on a schedule - do not do it when media is added (RTM) - see below
  2. create some sort of script to rename the files at source and then rename the destination file once copied (this is what I do)
  3. increase the duration of the RTM scan - defaults to 60 seconds I believe
  4. get a faster machine and network to copy the files quicker 🤣

I hope this helps ...

image.png.a95e2bc7c9d1f827f3a13ca875632d91.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

impaych

I tried your suggestion and after renaming the file back to .mkv the thumbnails generated were complete.  Looks like you identified the problem. Thank you.

I like your 4th solution the best, even if it is not going to happen!!  I'm going to try running thumbnail creation only as a scheduled task and see how that goes.  I hope this gets resolved in a future release.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, impaych said:

I tried your suggestion and after renaming the file back to .mkv the thumbnails generated were complete.  Looks like you identified the problem. Thank you.

I like your 4th solution the best, even if it is not going to happen!!  I'm going to try running thumbnail creation only as a scheduled task and see how that goes.  I hope this gets resolved in a future release.

Thanks again.

Great - remember you can change the schedule to whatever you like - I'm not sure what the default is, but you may want to change it to every hour or something like that.