picture quality roku wd server

moviesandtv56

moviesandtv56

I'm running emby on roku with a wd server.  All movies and shows will have picture quality reduced at some times and vertical lines through the picture.  The lines are sometimes not there when they are there they are subtle.  The lines never show when watching with a windows PC, macbook, iphones, and android phones.  We can still watch the movies and shows, however, I'd like to figure out a solution to the issue.

Thanks

Hi. Your server  log is filled with PortMapper errors.

Spoiler

2023-10-03 10:35:15.657 Error PortMapper: Error in GetSpecificMappingAsync
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.7.13.0
    Command line: /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/embyserver/system/EmbyServer.exe -programdata /mnt/HD/HD_a2/emby -ffdetect /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/embyserver/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/embyserver/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/embyserver/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -defaultdirectory /shares/Public -updatepackage emby-server-western_digital-mono-os5-any_{version}_arm.bin -noautorunwebapp
    Operating system: Linux version 4.14.22-armada-18.09.3 (kman@kmachine) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-2)) #1 SMP Thu Oct 27 08:25:39 UTC 2022 ga-18.09.3 Build-30
    Framework: Mono: 6.12.0.122 (tarball Wed Jun  9 04:23:41 PM UTC 2021)
    OS/Process: X86/X86
    Runtime: mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/embyserver/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll
    Processor count: 2
    Data path: /mnt/HD/HD_a2/emby
    Application path: /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/embyserver/system
    MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponseFromData (System.Net.WebResponseStream stream, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00146] in <7fa0b2825d5e4a86b1d54f47bb4052b0>:0
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.RunWithTimeoutWorker[T] (System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] workerTask, System.Int32 timeout, System.Action abort, System.Func`1[TResult] aborted, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource cts) [0x000f8] in <7fa0b2825d5e4a86b1d54f47bb4052b0>:0
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00020] in <7fa0b2825d5e4a86b1d54f47bb4052b0>:0
      at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].FromAsyncCoreLogic (System.IAsyncResult iar, System.Func`2[T,TResult] endFunction, System.Action`1[T] endAction, System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] promise, System.Boolean requiresSynchronization) [0x0000f] in <c54efbf3820243a3bee91110b0244309>:0
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
      at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal (MediaBrowser.Common.Net.HttpRequestOptions options, System.String httpMethod) [0x00839] in <05562deda1184000b9ece1cdf330d3f9>:0
      at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.SendAsync (MediaBrowser.Common.Net.HttpRequestOptions options, System.String httpMethod) [0x0009e] in <05562deda1184000b9ece1cdf330d3f9>:0
      at Mono.Nat.Upnp.UpnpNatDevice.GetSpecificMappingAsync (Mono.Nat.Protocol protocol, System.Int32 publicPort, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x000c1] in <331003fa084742829bfc84280551610a>:0
      at Mono.Nat.Upnp.UpnpNatDevice.CreatePortMap (Mono.Nat.Mapping mapping, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00152] in <331003fa084742829bfc84280551610a>:0
    Source: mscorlib
    TargetSite: Void Throw()
    InnerException: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
    Source: System
    TargetSite: System.Net.WebResponse EndGetResponse(System.IAsyncResult)
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponseFromData (System.Net.WebResponseStream stream, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00146] in <7fa0b2825d5e4a86b1d54f47bb4052b0>:0
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.RunWithTimeoutWorker[T] (System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] workerTask, System.Int32 timeout, System.Action abort, System.Func`1[TResult] aborted, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource cts) [0x000f8] in <7fa0b2825d5e4a86b1d54f47bb4052b0>:0
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00020] in <7fa0b2825d5e4a86b1d54f47bb4052b0>:0
      at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].FromAsyncCoreLogic (System.IAsyncResult iar, System.Func`2[T,TResult] endFunction, System.Action`1[T] endAction, System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] promise, System.Boolean requiresSynchronization) [0x0000f] in <c54efbf3820243a3bee91110b0244309>:0

In fact, all over the place in your log these errors appear. Open the spoiler above for one of them. This looks like an issue on your sever eating resources.

For the playback problems we would need to see if any ffmpeg logs were generated in your transcoding directory when playing on the Roku. If there are those would likely show this was transcoding playback.

You might need to change the quality setting from Auto if you are playing locally on your own network. To do so press * on your Emby homescreen. This will take you to the main settings. Once there choose Settings. Then choose Playback on the next  menu. The top option will be Video Quality. Make sure to raise this as high as you can go. You can choose the top option of 2160P 4K(UHD) - 110Mbps and see if those problems go away.

We would also need you to follow the directions in the post above mine mad by ebr. It explains exactly how to obtain logs on your Roku and send them from your Roku to us.

Edited by speechles

moviesandtv56

I looked over the instructions regarding the roku app, the instructions describe roku log recording features that are only available to developers.  I search the subject as well and could not find a way to create logs from the roku app.  If you know of a way to get the logs from my roku app, please let me know and I'll gladly do it.  Thanks.image.thumb.png.230890e9133a7fd7c5fdc882368bbcd2.png

1 hour ago, moviesandtv56 said:

I looked over the instructions regarding the roku app, the instructions describe roku log recording features that are only available to developers.  I search the subject as well and could not find a way to create logs from the roku app.  If you know of a way to get the logs from my roku app, please let me know and I'll gladly do it.  Thanks.image.thumb.png.230890e9133a7fd7c5fdc882368bbcd2.png

Hi, you don't access the log, you send it using the instructions in the link above. Can you please follow those instructions? Thanks !

Hi.  Specifically for Roku, go to the "cog" icon at the top of the home screen and click it.  Then choose "Settings" then "Advanced" then turn on "Debug Option".  Then exit the app, re-start it, play one of the problem items for just 30 seconds or so and stop and send the log by going to your user icon/name at the top of home and selecting "Send Log"

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, moviesandtv56 said:

read the instructions again and hope I got it right

Hi.  Did you do this?

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Specifically for Roku, go to the "cog" icon at the top of the home screen and click it.  Then choose "Settings" then "Advanced" then turn on "Debug Option".  Then exit the app, re-start it, play one of the problem items for just 30 seconds or so and stop and send the log by going to your user icon/name at the top of home and selecting "Send Log"

Thanks.

I don't see a log from a Roku device.

moviesandtv56

also, how can I get rid of the "your log these errors appear. Open the spoiler above for one of them. This looks like an issue on your sever eating resources." mentioned above?  Thanks.

Let's go slower this time. Use images and get a clear understanding of what each other means. I will start by showing how to enable the debug in the app.

On the Home screen of the Emby Roku app. You can either navigate upwards and move to the cog and press OK on your Roku remote to be taken there. You can also press * on your Roku remote on the Home screen to be taken there. Below is the image you will see when you enter settings.

image.png.6f99f292d2e2f5c2c08f712803f9a871.png

When you press OK on settings you will wind up on the screen below.

image.png.104b004e1217637b6339348f89e9be3a.png

image.png.b83ef09fef7a3adfbf6f53b050039919.png

That will enable debug. You can exit the application after this and restart it. Press the home button on your Roku remote to exit from this screen. Then restart the app and it will start in debug mode.

You can enter settings again if you are playing locally. Use the same method as above on the Home screen to enter settings and choose playback settings.

image.png.0b49cb0d2d4ca1f41b981c6973e1ca60.png

image.png.3a226f58ac5040a95a6e1be7bd9caac7.png

image.png.5cd4c87e28f221bf519d2f7de02e4c8a.png

If you are on the local LAN and playing content you can choose a very high setting instead of using Automatic. Since you have port-mapper errors perhaps the automatic bitrate detection will be affected by this. It will cause unnecessary transcoding and reducing quality if the automatic bitrate detection has things affecting it. This is why I suggest choosing the highest bitrate possible here. I choose the highest possible bitrate in my scenario. Yours may differ. But choosing a quality directly here rather than Auto may be all you need to do.

If you find yourself still having issues you can use the Send Logs button as suggested above once you have enabled debug.

image.png.b777eac30c56fd3f0f41430c1302ecfb.png

The option is found on the Home screen under your username. I went with showing images to make this dead simple to understand.

If you can provide us logs. As well as the server log you provided we need more. We need in app logs sent from the Roku app after this problem has happened and before you exit the Roku app. Roku app logs are reset each time the app restarts. We also need any ffmpeg logs that would be created in the same place as your server logs. These will help us determine what is happening on your side.

Take it slowly. Make sure not to skip steps. Also can you show us an image of what you mean when you say lines or weird video? Just take a picture with a cellphone, tablet, or anything that can show us what you mean. That will greatly help us understand what is happening.

Edited by speechles

13 minutes ago, moviesandtv56 said:

also, how can I get rid of the "your log these errors appear. Open the spoiler above for one of them. This looks like an issue on your sever eating resources." mentioned above?  Thanks.

Lets worry about that after you complete the steps in my post above this one. We need to go step by step before we rush. It is okay to take time. We understand you are frustrated. It is okay. This is why I provided images above so you can get a clear understanding of what we want. Apologies we are not more direct with how to get these things. If you could provide the information asked for in the post above it would speed up resolution to your issue.

Edited by speechles

moviesandtv56

Changing the settings on the roku app fixed the picture issue, I changed the settings on the server on my pc and thought that would filter through to the roku app.  It didn't.  Sorry about the confusion on my end and sorry if I sounded frustrated.  Do I need to change that setting on all TV's with the roku app?  Or will that now filter through to the other TV's with roku?

I did the new debug and the file is attached.  I did the items requested to get the data required.  I hope.

Let me know if you want to tell me what to do regarding the server errors or wait for that.

Thanks.

embyserver (4).txt

Thank you for a quick response. The Roku settings are device dependent. Unfortunately, Roku does not allow us to programatically apply these to all your Roku devices. Each device must build its own registry as each application is launched.

As far as the debug option you only need to keep this applied when you have an issue with the Roku application. You can disable debug in the Roku app and restart to start up without debug mode enabled. The only downside to keeping debug always enabled is the responses are logged as you complete them. The cache is large enough this should never be an issue with it left on forever. The only thing we use the cache for presently is the application log. The app is faster to complete tasks with the debug disabled.

Now about that port mapper error. Do you have remote connections using your server? If not you can disable the port mapper plugin by uninstalling it from the plugin page. There is no advantage to having it installed if you just use Emby locally on your own server.

Otherwise we may need to dig deeper on your Port Mapper issue. If you want to solve the Port Mapper issue please create a new thread for it rather than repurpose this one. So that others with your same issue can read this thread without confusing them with the issue changing. We like to keep threads to a single purpose and then leave them so others can discover them. Thanks.

Glad to know this was simple to fix. You can continue with @ebr since he was the one to ask for the application logs. He may find something there too.

Edited by speechles

moviesandtv56

how do I disable the debug options on roku?  I did the enable but don't see any was to disable.  If it turns off the next time you open the app like it does with windows in a browser please let me know.  thanks.

You just click that option that debug option and the display will flip to OFF from ON and ON to OFF. I know we need to make that clearer too. You are not the first to ask.

11 hours ago, moviesandtv56 said:

Do I need to change that setting on all TV's with the roku app?

Hi.  "Auto" should be the default setting so it should only need to be changed if someone has changed it before.

• 3 months later...
moviesandtv56

I started getting the lines in the video playback today.  I tried changing the video playback on the roku app as suggested above and how I did it in the past to fix the issue and that did not fix the issue.  Any ideas?  Thanks.