Emby Theater Always Transcodes on my Computer (I think)

calvin_evird
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

calvin_evird

Hi all, I play my media to my crappy android TV and everything looks to work fine and the app works well. Even videos in 4K seems to run without an issue as long as no transcoding is needed on my NAS Synology DS220J.

But when I play media through Emby Theater on my PC which is definitely more powerful then my cheapo TV it always seem to require transcoding? And my NAS is way not strong enough for that so it just loads for ages. I usually end up just using it as a file storage and open up the media through Explorer instead and play it with Media Player Classic/VLC.

Any reason why this is the case? Is it a settings issue?

Cheers.

calvin_evird
5 hours ago, Luke said:

explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

No, unfortunately I didn't. Do you know how I'd do that?

I can't really find a stats button during playback of the video and both store and windows app sort of continues loading because my NAS is so slow when (at least I think) it tries to transcode.

Edit

I found the stats for nerds, but nothing seems to appear on clicking on it, it looks like its still trying to load the media?

Edited by calvin_evird

calvin_evird

Sorry to multi ping, does the edit button disappear after a while? In any case I tried to disable transcoding for the user and recieve the following when trying to play the media as well:

Capture.PNG

17 hours ago, calvin_evird said:

I don't know if it helps, but this is what it shows in the dashboard for the media file.

Capture.PNG

There's no transcoding here.

16 hours ago, calvin_evird said:

Sorry to multi ping, does the edit button disappear after a while? In any case I tried to disable transcoding for the user and recieve the following when trying to play the media as well:

Capture.PNG

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

• Solution
10 hours ago, calvin_evird said:

SORRY SORRY, last bump I swear. I'm slowly learning more and more things I can check, so I keep adding more to here lol. I found where the logs are and wanted to attach it.

ffmpeg-transcode-LOG.txt 87.57 kB · 1 download

Have you installed the hevc extension from the microsoft store? 

• Like 1

calvin_evird
20 minutes ago, Luke said:

Have you installed the hevc extension from the microsoft store? 

Lol had no idea that was a thing. Especially as I always can play it via VLC/Media Player Classic.

But I bought the HEVC App on the store for like a dollar and Emby Theater is all working now :D, Guessing its a HEVC Microsoft licensing thing then an Emby technical one.

Thanks bro. Helped a lot.

Edited by calvin_evird
  • Thanks 1