Scan media library vs Thumbnail image extraction scheduled task

Architekt
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Architekt

The description for the Advanced->Scheduled tasks->Scan Media Library says "Scans your media library and refreshes metadata based on library options".

Two questions about that task:

1. Is this the equivalent of manually doing a "Scan Library Files", followed by a "Refresh Metadata" on a library? Or is this just simply doing the manual equivalent of "Scan Library Files"?
  2. Does this also create image thumbnails (I have it enabled to generate thumbnails every 10s on scheduled task and when added)

Regarding the task "Thumbnail image extraction" just below that, I also have a few questions:

1. Does this also happen as part of the above task, "Scan Media Library"?
  2. If #1 doesn't apply, then would you suggest scheduling this to run before "Scan Media Library" or after?

I guess I don't quite fully grasp what "Scan Media Library" does. Couple questions about it:

1. Does it just simply look for your files and subs and whatever else is in the directory that's compatible with Emby, and then add those to your library to view? 
  2. Will this pick up any new external subtitles that have been added to the video's directory, or do I have to also refresh metadata?
  3. Does it in any way generate thumbnail images, intro detection, credits detection, etc.?

Thanks, I know it's a bunch of questions but I'm fully switching from Plex to Emby (bought a lifetime key) and these are the few remaining ones before I feel confident about having totally set my server up the way I want.

• Solution
  • Is this the equivalent of manually doing a "Scan Library Files", followed by a "Refresh Metadata" on a library? Or is this just simply doing the manual equivalent of "Scan Library Files"?

Hi, it's the equivalent of just doing scan library files.

Does this also happen as part of the above task, "Scan Media Library"?

If enabled in your library options.

I guess I don't quite fully grasp what "Scan Media Library" does. Couple questions about it:

It's looking for new and updated files in your folders.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2023 at 11:05 PM, Luke said:

Hi, it's the equivalent of just doing scan library files.

Is it in the plans or available functionality to create thumbnails and/or processed images for display in web bulk in the background? 
I realize that this will increase the cache volume but will greatly speed up the display of content.

By the way , is the cache built separately for each device displaying content , or is it common for all ?

3 hours ago, adamb7 said:

Is it in the plans or available functionality to create thumbnails and/or processed images for display in web bulk in the background? 
I realize that this will increase the cache volume but will greatly speed up the display of content.

By the way , is the cache built separately for each device displaying content , or is it common for all ?

Each app requests what formats and sizes they need, so yes the output of that is going to vary. However your questions seem to have nothing to do with the questions in the first post of this topic.