Remote access suddenly stopped working

ochatzis
Go to solution Solved by ochatzis,

ochatzis

Hello i have an emby server installed in a windows 10 pc. Remote access suddenly stopped working. Tried either upnp and port forwarding in my router but nothing is working.turned off also firewall and antivirus but nothing.when connecting from my own network it works perfectly. 

pwhodges

Have you checked that the port is still visible using something like canyouseeme.org?

Paul

ochatzis

no unfortunately ports 8096 and 8920 are not visible even though i have port forwarding on for those ports on my router.

pwhodges

Could it be that your ISP has switched to cgNAT?  One way to test this is to do a traceroute to an external address (e.g. 8.8.8.8), and see whether there are non-routable addresses shown outside your network.  Another is to check whether your router shows its WAN address to be the same as canyouseeme.og reports. 

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

pwhodges

I mentioned two methods - here's some more detail.

Method 1: 

At a command prompt type "tracert 8.8.8.8".
If any line after the first contains an address in the following ranges, you are behind cgNAT:
192.168.x.x
10.x.x.x
172.16.x.x through 172.31.x.x
100.64.x.x through 100.127.x.x

Method 2:

Log into your router and check its WAN / external address; where to find it depends on your router.
If this address is different from the one given by your no-ip address, you are behind cgNAT.

Paul

rbjtech
13 minutes ago, ochatzis said:

yes indeed the second line starts with 10...... Any possible solutions for this?many thanks in advance

In order of preference ..

1. Ask your ISP to put you back on a proper public IP - as it was before.

2. Change ISP to one that doesn't use CGNAT

3. Use a 'Tunnel' to bypass the CGNAT - technical and probably not recommended as it just adds complexity.

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, ochatzis said:

i guess upnp doesnt solve this matter right?

Afraid not.

pwhodges

uPNP just opens the ports, which you have done by manual port-mapping.  It's a dangerous thing to have enabled in the router anyway, because it allows malware to open ports - if you can see the setting in the router, you should disable it for peace of mind.

Paul

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, ochatzis said:

Hello!i contacted my ISP provider and everything works back as normal. Many thanks!

Thanks for following up !