Show playing in wrong aspect ratio

Skopin
Go to solution Solved by generiq,

I'm having an issue with a show playing in the wrong aspect ratio. The show is 4:3, and that is what the metadata shows when viewing it both in MediaInfo and in Emby. But when it actually plays, it is stretching it horizontally to 3:2. I've tried switching the aspect ratio in the player, but the only options are Auto, Cover, and Fill, and none of them change anything.

Looking at the file in MediaInfo, there are two aspect ratios, DAR, and original DAR. The Emby player seems to be reading the original DAR with no way to change it to what it should actually be displaying. I've tried using MKVToolNix to change the aspect ratio, but there does not seem to be any way to remove the original DAR.

Here is what the video looks like in Emby

embyaspectratio.jpg

Here is what it looks like when viewing in MPC-HC in the correct aspect ratio

mpchcaspectratio.jpg

This is what the metadata shows in Emby

embyaspectnfo.jpg

And here is the MediaInfo for the file

mediainfoaspectnfo.jpg

Edited by Skopin

• 2 weeks later...
generiq

I've compared the played frame sizes in VLC, mpv standalone and Theater. They all match, and are correct. So here's the discrepancy. If you look at the headers in mkvtoolnix, you'll see 704x480 and 704x528. If you calculate them out, 704/528=1.33 (4x3) this is correct. 704/480=1.46. 3:2 ratio equates to 1.5. Which is very close to 704/480. And if you drop it into handbrake, it reads as 704x442. If you alter the dimensions in handbrake's configuration and recode, which eliminates the 3:2 original ratio, play it and overlay each player, they all match.

I suspect that what you think is correct is actually incorrect.

I'll attach the handbrake reencode, so you can see what I mean.

generiq

Also, make sure you have the latest release of Theater, and I would suggest setting video output to gpu-next if you haven't already. 

generiq

And the file I corrected in handbrake plays correctly in the Windows player. So it would appear that the Windows player gets it wrong.

Screenshot2023-10-11223907.thumb.png.2099f739103cb959379d83fb8272e69b.png

Edited by generiq

8 hours ago, generiq said:

Interestingly, when played in the Windows player, it's stretched. 

Are you using the Theater from the Windows store or download from the Emby website? You should be using the download from the Emby site.

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

This resolved the issue. I was using the Windows Store version. The installer version works as expected. Thanks for your help! I really didn't want to have to reencode all of those episodes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1