MP4 Title + Comment Metadata Removal

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

I was looking for a tool similar to mkvpropedit that can remove Title and Comment metadata from mp4s. The best i came up with so far is 

FOR /F "delims=*" %%A in ('dir /s /b *.mp4') do CALL :FIX "%%A"
GOTO :eof
:FIX
"C:\Downloads\Downloaded\exiftool" -if "$Title or $Comment" -overwrite_original -Title= -Comment= "%~1" 

The problem is Exiftool isnt able to just remove the metadata it seems to have to traverse and write out the entire file...ie very slow. this is the same behaviour as using ffmpeg.

Does anyone know of a an mp4 tool which can surgically edit the metadata quickly..

thanks

rbjtech
46 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

I was looking for a tool similar to mkvpropedit that can remove Title and Comment metadata from mp4s. The best i came up with so far is 

"C:\Downloads\Downloaded\exiftool" -if "$Title or $Comment" -overwrite_original -Title= -Comment= "%~1" 

The problem is Exiftool isnt able to just remove the metadata it seems to have to traverse and write out the entire file...ie very slow. this is the same behaviour as using ffmpeg.

Does anyone know of a an mp4 tool which can surgically edit the metadata quickly..

thanks

In short - no - when developing MediaInfo we hit the same issue - which is why that Plugin only works with mkv.   Remuxing mp4's was just too risky for a plugin.

You might actually find it quicker to simply convert the mp4 to mkv - using mkvmerge - and wipe the title and comments in the process ...

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

tedfroop
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

In short - no - when developing MediaInfo we hit the same issue

Sorry to go off topic if you helped develop Mediainfo - you have my gratitude.  Simply the best single tool for knowing what you are ripping and the best strategy to use.

rbjtech
48 minutes ago, tedfroop said:

Sorry to go off topic if you helped develop Mediainfo - you have my gratitude.  Simply the best single tool for knowing what you are ripping and the best strategy to use.

The MediaInfo Plugin for emby ... ;)

We use the mediainfo cli to get the data, so our gratitude to the Author as well !

image.png.08aee6e515f843af980db050938f3915.png

Latest (non Catalogue) version (1.0.1.34) is in the main MediaInfo Plugin thread - here

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

ginjaninja

in some cases mp3tag is able to edit mp4 tags directly but not in others...although it hangs / crashes when editing mp4tags too often. Also mp3tag has no command line. close but no cigar..

But it shows direct mp4 tag editing is technically possible [if not increasing the size of the tag block?] at least in some circumstances.

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

in some cases mp3tag is able to edit mp4 tags directly but not in others...although it hangs / crashes when editing mp4tags too often. Also mp3tag has no command line. close but no cigar..

But it shows direct mp4 tag editing is technically possible [if not increasing the size of the tag block?] at least in some circumstances.

mkvmerge.exe -o "%%~dA%%~pA%%~nA.mkv" "%%A"

🤪

ginjaninja
On 29/09/2023 at 18:08, rbjtech said:
mkvmerge.exe -o "%%~dA%%~pA%%~nA.mkv" "%%A"

🤪

thanks for suggestion. I went with my original thoughts in first post in the end...Exiftools support for an easy conditional statement to only amend files that need it was useful as the results needed replication across a slow connection...24 hours later....all my mp4 were clean.

• Like 1

rbjtech
26 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

thanks for suggestion. I went with my original thoughts in first post in the end...Exiftools support for an easy conditional statement to only amend files that need it was useful as the results needed replication across a slow connection...24 hours later....all my mp4 were clean.

Interesting - thanks for the followup.

I've never used Exiftool - but sounds like I may need to go and have a look ... :)