Raspberry Pi 5

yaksplat

TeamB

they are removing some/all of the hardware video decoding, not sure how I feel about that, the response to that is with 2.5x fatser CPU that will compensate, still not sure how I feel about it about it.

arrbee99
23 hours ago, TeamB said:

they are removing some/all of the hardware video decoding, not sure how I feel about that, the response to that is with 2.5x fatser CPU that will compensate, still not sure how I feel about it about it.

Sounds like they hired someone from Synology...

• Haha 1

CharlieMurphy

It says in a comment there that it's limited to 1080p for AV1 decoding. That's kind of a disappointment to hear.

TeamB

I think the RP devs are aiming at jack of all trades and ace of none in this new approach Just throw CPU at it and see what happens. I really get the feeling they are trying to play catch up on some of the competators boards and the main hit point that had was they were slow in the CPU area.

The original RPs (v2,v3,v4) are great at video, I will reserve my judgment on this until I try one (v5) out but I just dont get the feels about this hardware release like I did with the last few gens of RP.

RanmaCanada

You're honestly better off to get an offlease micro PC than a Pi at this point.  The Pi 5 needs a 27 watt power supply, and a T series Intel or GE series AMD only use 35 watts, and will wipe the floor with the Pi 5, especially the Intel with quicksync.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1