Low image quality/resolution when viewing in emby app

Utini

I started to store & sync most of my phones pictures/videos on my home server with emby server.

I use the emby app to browse the pictures/videos and to view them (when stored on the emby server).

For locally stored files I use different apps.

The image quality/resolution is very low when opening the image in emby.

Downloading the image and opening it in a different app shows it in correct (good quality)

Downloading the image and opening it in emby gives a playback error (this might be a different issue).

Videos being opened in emby app are in high quality as well.

Opening the images in emby LG app shows it in correct (good quality).

The problem exists for at at least one year already.

22 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI there, can you please provide an example?

@LukeThis is an example image.

Attached is the original image, one zoomed in screenshot of emby, one zoomed in screenshot of simple gallery.

As you can see, one of the zoomed in screenshots has a lot more details which is the one from simple gallery app.

Additionally, if I download the image in emby, I can't open it with the emby app from the downloads (playback error).

The attached full size image is the one I downloaded through emby on my phone.

Screenshot_20230928-191116.png

Screenshot_20230928-191208.png

PXL_20220228_093416036.jpg

Edited by Utini

blgentry

What format are these images in?  I've noticed that HEIC images, when added to some programs, lose all of their details and look "terrible".  But if you export the HEIC as a JPEG first,  and then add it to the program, it looks good as expected. 

Brian.

8 minutes ago, blgentry said:

What format are these images in?  I've noticed that HEIC images, when added to some programs, lose all of their details and look "terrible".  But if you export the HEIC as a JPEG first,  and then add it to the program, it looks good as expected. 

Brian.

Uhm it is the .jpg image that my Pixel 6 Pro generates when making pictures :D

Does it help if I attach the original .jpg file here? The one above is downloaded through emby.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Utini said:

@LukeJust to report back: newest update (received yesterday) didn't fix the issue.

OK we are looking into it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Utini

@Lukewith update 3.365 the issue still exists.

I haven't even tried with my Pixel 8 Pro pictures which are even higher quality and als UltraHDR. But I imagine it will be even worse.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

@Utinidoes the web app in chrome on the pixel 8 look the same as the android app, or is it better or worse?

Utini
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Luke said:

@Utinidoes the web app in chrome on the pixel 8 look the same as the android app, or is it better or worse?

@Luke

I use Firefox as browser on Pixel 8 Pro.

The browser has the same bad quality as the emby app. However, when changing the browser to "view as desktop" the quality improves a lot!

Also the browser (in mobile view) allows more zooming in than the emby app (pinch to zoom).

Edit:

I believe that emby in browser as desktop mode has the same good quality as my phone's gallery app (simple gallery) with the picture saved locally :)

Edited by Utini
  • Thanks 1

OK that's helpful. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...
Utini
On 4/16/2024 at 5:07 AM, Luke said:

OK that's helpful. Thanks for the info.

@Luke3.3.86 update still hasn't fixed it in case you want to know. Also, any chance to get a setting which puts the device at max brightness automatically when opening an image?