Force Transcoding of Live Tv when using Tv Apps

Jibest

Hi, recently my VBox broke and so I replaced it with a HDHomerun that makes use of a regular tv aerial.

I started noticing that when I was watching Live Tv or Live Tv recordings the screen would regularly flicker slightly. This had never happened previously and has become annoying.

When I stream from the HDHomerun to my PC using VLC the flickering no longer happens. I then tried using the Emby app on a Fire Stick and noticed that the flickering did not happen, even when I watched a recording that suffered from the issue when using the Tv App.

I then used DLNA to play the recording directly on the Tv without using the Emby app and the flickering was still present.

So the issue appears to be the Tv itself when it is direct playing the stream, either a live channel or a recording. I was able to prove this by watching the recording on the Emby Tv app but lowering the quality to 720p 4mb to force it to transcode the stream. This resulted in perfect playback.

I think this has been requested previously, but will we ever get the option on the Tv apps to make it transcode tv streams and recordings automatically the way the app on the Fire Tvs do? I think the option is called "Allow Video Stream Copy". Although as the app version on the Samsung store is still April 2022 goodness knows when we'd get the feature even if it was added. Actually i've just noticed that both are transcoded due to the container being incompatible rather than that setting directly.

Is there anything that can be done on the server side so that when a MPEGTS stream is being used it will be forced to transcode it? I wouldn't want to have to keep changing the quality settings manually depending on whether i'm watching Live Tv or a film etc.

*I appreciate this is very much a "first world" problem as I could just use the Fire Stick but would be nice to be able to make full use of the native Tv apps.

Thanks, Jon

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  So when you say "TV app" you are referring to the Samsung store app?

Sorry, yes the Samsung Tv app.

Its a 2019 model tv (UE43RU7400UXXU).

Hi, there is currently no option in the app to force transcoding but this is something we are working on improving. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
32 minutes ago, videoslimapl said:

any update on this?

HI, just curious, what are you trying to solve?

videoslimapl

I have television with AC3 audio. The streams wont start on chrome.

I need transcode audio to AAC.

• Thanks 1