One movie, 3 different files. Which one will be played by default?

Guest juanmartinbravo
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Guest juanmartinbravo

Let's imagine that I have a movie in three different qualities:

4K MicroUHD, 

1080p BD-Remux

1080p Micro-HD

Which file will be the one played by default and how will Emby decide that?

Hi.  Each app will decide based on the capabilities of the device.  The first one in the list that can play the most efficient way will be chosen.

Guest juanmartinbravo

Ok so let's say I have an Sony TV that supports HW decoding for all the files and also an LG TV that supports hardware decoding for the 1080p bdremux and 1080p microhd files only.

What will the clien app consider as the most efficient? The biggest file that can play with he decoding? Or the easiest file to not stress much the CPU?

• Solution

The first one that can direct play.  If two of them can direct play, then the highest resolution one, I believe.

The playback methods in terms of the efficiency I was referencing are:

1. Direct play (feed the file unchanged)
  2. Remux/Direct stream (modify only the container or audio)
  3. Transcode (modify the video stream and possibly audio and container)

blgentry

Are we talking about grouped movie files where they show up as one movie and there is a dropdown box with the various "versions" shown?

I do not use the grouping function because it is not obvious to me what is going on.  Instead, for any movies I have like this, I make a collection and add all of the versions to it.  So now each version has it's own movie entry and I can explicitly select the one I want in a very obvious way.

The versions pulldown menu is not obvious enough to me, nor is its default selection mechanism.  I almost always opt for explicit mechanisms, as opposed to implicit.

Brian.

Guest juanmartinbravo
23 hours ago, blgentry said:

Are we talking about grouped movie files where they show up as one movie and there is a dropdown box with the various "versions" shown?

Yes, that's what I'm referring to.

I didn't even know that you can't decide to have it duplicated rather than all of them under the same poster. Where do you do that?

blgentry
55 minutes ago, juanmartinbravo said:

I didn't even know that you can't decide to have it duplicated rather than all of them under the same poster. Where do you do that?

Click on the movie in question and you'll see all the details.  Scroll down a bit and you'll see a button to ungroup the versions.  I think this screen shot shows the button correctly:

After that the movies will both appear separately in your library.  You can add a collection for them and put them both inside the collection.  This is what I've done for my various movies where I have different versions.

Brian.