'Plugin Updated' notifications regularly fail to trigger

darkassassin07

darkassassin07

Since Sept 21; The MovieDB pluggin has updated 4 times (1.7.0 through 1.7.3) yet I've only received 1 notification about it (the update to 1.7.1).

The 'Server Restart Required' notification triggers each time, but the plugin update notification does not always trigger. It has triggered for all prior updates, incl other plugin updates while on the same current server version. (xml tv 1.1.3, tvdb 1.4.1, and nfo metadata 1.0.77)

Emby Server 4.7.14 on win 10 using email notifications via outlook/hotmail smtp.

darkassassin07

I was gonna upload it while mobile, but it was 250mb...  Got home and went to trim it and found:

2023-09-25 16:32:09.667 Info InstallationManager: Plugin updated: MovieDb 1.7.3 Release
2023-09-25 16:32:09.704 Info App: Sending email <redacted>@hotmail.com with subject Emby: MovieDb Updated to 1.7.3 on <redacted>
2023-09-25 16:32:09.707 Info App: Emby Server needs to be restarted.
2023-09-25 16:32:09.746 Info App: Sending email <redacted>@hotmail.com with subject Emby: Please Restart Emby Server on <redacted>
2023-09-25 16:32:10.683 Error App: Error sending email: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Syntax error, command unrecognized. The server response was: 4.3.2 Concurrent connections limit exceeded. Visit https://aka.ms/concurrent_sending for more information. [Hostname=MW4PR02MB7156.namprd02.prod.outlook.com]
   at System.Net.Mail.DataStopCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String serverResponse)
   at System.Net.Mail.DataStopCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn)
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.OnClose(Object sender, EventArgs args)
   at System.Net.ClosableStream.Close()
   at System.Net.Mail.MailWriter.Close()
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Complete(Exception exception, IAsyncResult result)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.SendNotification(UserNotification request, CancellationToken cancellationToken) 
2023-09-25 16:32:11.040 Info App: Completed sending email <redacted>@hotmail.com with subject Emby: Please Restart Emby Server on <redacted>

it appears emby is trying to send a second email while another is being sent leading to multiple concurrent connections to the smtp server. The restart email made it, but the plugin email failed.

I only have one other application that sends mail via that address/server and it wasn't running at the time.

darkassassin07

I've shutdown the server, removed the old plugin from /emby-server/programdata/plugins and placed the new one there. (edit, I did unpack the zip)

After starting the server email is no longer listed as an installed plugin.

I then added that dll to /emby-server/system/plugins (that folder did not contain the original email plugin) and restarted again. Same results.

I then removed both files, replaced the original dll, restarted, and email is now back.

Am I doing something wrong?

/edit to add: now when I open the email plugin settings the only field filled in is 'SMTP username'. The rest is empty/not enabled amd the dropdown for 'configure email notifications' is also empty (click on it and it's an empty list)

Email notifications are however still sending as I received them upon removing and reinstalling the email plugin via the catalogue.

Edited by darkassassin07

darkassassin07

Ah, ok.

Also, the email config issue appears to be an issue rendering the user list specifically in the web app. From the android app, I can see the user list in the email plugin config and the correct details fill in when I select the user I've configured.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
darkassassin07
Posted (edited)

This seems to be resolved. I haven't missed a notification in a while afaik. Notifications sending close together, such as a plugin update then server restart send successfully and arrive.

The user list rendering issue isn't applicable anymore as notifications are now configured individually by each user instead of the old global admin only config.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Thanks 1