"Primary Images" missing after a restore

TommyToughnuts

TommyToughnuts

Hi everyone.  I'm running latest Emby on a Synology NAS in a Docker.  Due to a few reasons, I had to rebuild the entire NAS.  I made a copy of the whole Emby folder out of Docker before I started.  I got the NAS back up and running, got Docker installed (or at least Synology's version of it), reinstalled Emby, started it to make sure it was good, stopped it, copied all my data back into it, started it up again.  99% good - major issue I'm seeing is I have a group of movies (398 to be exact) where previously I had replaced the Primary Images via downloading with URL - and now those images are not displaying.  I'm just seeing a random frame grab instead.

I've looked inside metadata/library/<folder>/<folder> and do see the images that _were_ the primary before the rebuild, so I know they're there.

It looks like the folder names (the long hexadecimal ones - that's "blob storage", right?) might be different so I'm guessing that's what the problem is.

Also I did change the location of the movie files themselves, but all the paths were updated accordingly and they will play if I attempt to do so.

I'd just _really_ like to get those images back in place and not do 398 again by hand.  Needless to say, the options to save meta info out as nfo's and images out as jpg's in the folder weren't turned on in the library settings... I don't care about the meta info per se, but the images are kind of a big deal to me.

Any/all help appreciated.  Thank you!

TommyToughnuts
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

@TommyToughnuts

Hi, what emby folder exactly did you copy? 

Can you please give an example of what is missing a primary image, perhaps showing a screenshot? Thanks !

Hi Luke.  On the NAS I have /volume1/docker/Emby mapped to /config - it was that folder I copied in its entirety:

image.png.3935cb674cde32180b6cb51f12543b35.png

# tree -d -L 2 Emby
Emby
├── cache
│   ├── fanart-movies
│   ├── ffmpeg
│   ├── httpclient
│   ├── images
│   ├── temp
│   ├── tmdb-collections
│   ├── tmdb-movies2
│   └── tvdb-movies
├── config
│   ├── cache
│   ├── cert
│   ├── config
│   ├── data
│   ├── dlna
│   ├── logs
│   ├── plugins
│   ├── root
│   └── users
├── data
│   ├── devices
│   ├── livetv
│   ├── ScheduledTasks
│   └── ScripterX
├── logs
├── metadata
│   ├── collections
│   ├── genres
│   ├── library
│   ├── people
│   └── views
├── plugins
│   └── configurations
├── root
│   └── default
└── transcoding-temp

I can certainly post a screenshot, however it would be NFSW - as soon as Emby lets me log back into it... my creds seem to of got jacked since I set up my account to use the forum, but that's a different issue right now.

Also I did change the location of the movie files themselves, but all the paths were updated accordingly and they will play if I attempt to do so.

HI, yes this is the reason why. Since this data is based on the path, there's no way to use the old info. 

Improvements to this are coming though, mainly the ability to change the path of a library without having to remove and re-add it.

1 minute ago, TommyToughnuts said:

So in theory, if I recreate the old path and move everything back, would the images reappear as they should?

I don't know if I can promise that, but in theory, yes.

TommyToughnuts

I'll give that a try tomorrow.  The worst that can happen is it doesn't work - which is where I'm at now, so nothing lost.

I'll try it and report back.  Thank you for the pointers.

TommyToughnuts

Well I gave that a try, it appears to not work, c'est la vie.  My own fault for not checking the nfo/artwork savers were turned on (thought it was a server setting, not a library).

So just to close this topic off, one more question please then I'm done - I have the two options on now for the library (the nfo saver and the artwork saver), I manually updated the covers of 2 scenes but nothing got written out.  Do I need to restart the library from scratch for those to be effective or can I force Emby somehow to write that data out?

2 hours ago, TommyToughnuts said:

So just to close this topic off, one more question please then I'm done - I have the two options on now for the library (the nfo saver and the artwork saver), I manually updated the covers of 2 scenes but nothing got written out.  Do I need to restart the library from scratch for those to be effective or can I force Emby somehow to write that data out?

No, you don't need to restart the server after changing the option. Did you change the option first and then update an image? the server could have been denied write access to your media folder. A server log would help confirm that:

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
TommyToughnuts

I've been having some (other, non-related) NAS issues so apologies for the delay in responding.  I started looking at this again last night and I do indeed see nfo files etc being written out where appropriate.  I just have to re-do the 398 cover images 😞

Thanks for the responses, Luke!

• Thanks 1