TV Shows never identified with Emby [Jellyf. & Plex OK]

aldriglikvid

aldriglikvid

Hi, 

I have a problem that I want to "get to the bottom with" because I've decided to become permanent Emby user - It's a great application. But I have one issue...

Emby never identifies my TV Shows, only Movies. Let's troubleshoot this: 

I have a folder of TV Shows on D:\TV 

The folders are D:\TV\SeriesName.S01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group

em.jpg.3ec27c2e2438a47676165a855993c4b3.jpg

Here are the settings for TV Shows (3 pictures) : 

1.jpg.f6e4c18230ea6613ca561b8c58eb149b.jpg

2.jpg.c7ac08766dc9e7f699f6daecc63c5559.jpg

3.jpg.f145a4ab926977853393ffd0385837d2.jpg

Everything above returns this below. I believe 1 show was identified automatically, all the identified you see here are manual: 

Emby.thumb.jpg.32cd5c8ec9be743e588aa95b9746941b.jpg

I spent 5-10 minutes installing Jellyfin and Plex just to benchmark. Standardsettings. Same folders. They identified everything. 

Jellyfin

Jellyfi.thumb.jpg.ea9def4afbe1a7c756847196dba82a92.jpg

Plex

plex.thumb.jpg.5a515210d6eef602ca6d3025a558b0c9.jpg

As mentioned earlier, my fileserver is as following: D:\TV\SeriesName.S01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group

Below that folder, all the episodes are in one folder, like this: D:\TV\SeriesName.S01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group\SeriesName.S01.EP01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group.MKV 

Appreciate all the help. Thanks

aldriglikvid
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  At this time, we require a separate folder per show.  Please see: TV Naming

I believe I have that, no? Example: 

Show 1

D:\TV\Series1.S01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group

Show 2 

D:\TV\Show2.S01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group

If I read your example correctly, are you saying that "Series1.S01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group" is a folder and that all episodes from Season 1 are in that folder?  If so do you also have a folder "Series1.S02.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group" ?  That would be a problem.  The examples on the naming convention page, show all seasons under ONE folder for each series. 
Another potential problem could be the ".2160p.HDR.DTS-Group".  If that is part of the folder name, I'm not sure how Emby would handle that extra information. 
(Note - I'm not emby support, just a community user, so I could be wrong...)

aldriglikvid
5 minutes ago, richt said:

If I read your example correctly, are you saying that "Series1.S01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group" is a folder and that all episodes from Season 1 are in that folder?  If so do you also have a folder "Series1.S02.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group" ?  That would be a problem.  The examples on the naming convention page, show all seasons under ONE folder for each series. 
Another potential problem could be the ".2160p.HDR.DTS-Group".  If that is part of the folder name, I'm not sure how Emby would handle that extra information. 
(Note - I'm not emby support, just a community user, so I could be wrong...)

Emby support or not, you're most helpful anyway - thanks! 

1) 95% of my TV content is Season 1 thus only one series folder per series - and those were not identified. 

2) It might be the case that it is ".2160p.HDR.DTS-Group" that breaks it for Emby (but not Plex nor Jellyfin) - and I'd love a response from the mods if that's the case. 

Show 1

D:\TV\Series1.S01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group

Show 2 

D:\TV\Show2.S01.2160p.HDR.DTS-Group

em.jpg.2cdfe9ce4a5b41d1a014a30abdd9afad.jpg

aldriglikvid
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you please provide a specific example of a series folder name, as well as what is underneath? Thanks.

Sure: 

D:\tv\Yellowjackets.S01.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-Group

Below: Yellowjackets.S01E01.Pilot.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-Group.MKV

D:\tv\Slow.Horses.S02.2160p.ATVP.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.HDR.H.265-Group

Below: Slow.Horses.S02E01.Last.Stop.REPACK.2160p.ATVP.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.HDR.H.265-Group.MKV

Edited by aldriglikvid

Gilgamesh_48

While Emby does support some of the lesser known and lesser used formats I have found exactly one that works virtually every tiem and that is:

- - - - - - - -

TV Shows <--The TV library points here
_______ShowName (year)
____________Season 01
__________________ShowName (year) - s01e01 - Optional Name.ext
_________________ShowName (year) - s01e02 - Optional Name.ext
__________________and so on for the shows in season 01
____________Season 02 ? just like Season 01
____________Season 03 ? and so on for each season
____________Season 00 ? or “Specials”
__________________ShowName (year) - s00e01 - Optional name
__________________ShowName (year) - s00e02 - Optional name
__________________and so on for each special

Note 1: the eXX part of the specials must match EXACTLY what is found in TheTVDB

Note 2: The (year) may be omitted for shows that do not have more than one occurrence throughout the years.

There are many other structures and naming systems that work but this is the one I use and it just works.

For a mass rename I use FileBot with this format string {n.replaceTrailingBrackets()} - {s00e00.lower()} - {t}
- - - - - - -

I know there is a strong tendency to want to use formats other than this but it is not without risk and sometimes even total failures.

I strongly believe that it is necessary to follow Emby's suggestions to get good and reliable matching.

Also if you absolutely need or want the extra info you can have it in the filename just by enclosing it in square brackets like:
ShowName (year) - SxxEyy - Optional name [all the extra info you want].ext
Anything in the square brackets is ignored by Emby.

The dashes are not required but they aid Emby's attempts to match the more obscure shows.

I suggest always using season folders and following the naming conventions to avoid issues.

It is almost always better to make your data conform to Emby's expectations instead of trying to make Emby conform to yours.

Also remember that if you are not in total compliance a format that used to work might suddenly not work because of some change made behind the scenes by Emby or the data sources Emby uses.

aldriglikvid

All-right, probably not accepting my folders then. I was just perplexed Jellyfin and Plex did it in a heartbeat, so I just assumed Emby would too. 

I'll reconsider if renaming my whole library is worth the effort. Thanks for the help everyone! 

Gilgamesh_48
37 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

All-right, probably not accepting my folders then. I was just perplexed Jellyfin and Plex did it in a heartbeat, so I just assumed Emby would too. 

I'll reconsider if renaming my whole library is worth the effort. Thanks for the help everyone! 

FileBot can be configured to create the folder structure and file naming Emby wants. I do not use that feature as my structure is already fine and only when I rip new shows do I need to create a new structure. I do know that there is a formatting system for FileBot where you start with pretty random naming and structure and, after it finishes, you end up with a practically perfect structure and naming system that Emby only needs to read for it to work.

That makes getting a pretty random structure correct for Emby a virtually painless operation. The only sweat come from your computer while it works to get the naming correct.

BTW: If your data and structure conforms to what Emby needs it also will work in virtually every media manage I have ever seen.

Hi, if you'd like to keep your folder structure then I've got this supported for the next 4.8 beta server build. I would do a fresh install with it though, once available, because it won't change anything for previously  imported content.

The version number will be 4.8.0.48+. Thanks.

aldriglikvid
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, if you'd like to keep your folder structure then I've got this supported for the next 4.8 beta server build. I would do a fresh install with it though, once available, because it won't change anything for previously  imported content.

The version number will be 4.8.0.48+. Thanks.

That's great news! I'll keep my eyes out for the next version, and I'll do a full reinstall. Thanks 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

For 100% identification - along with the standard emby folder naming (as mentioned by @Gilgamesh_48) and in the naming wiki TV Naming | Emby Documentation - if using an automated rename utility (or manually if you wish..) - then you can also specify one of the provider id's as well.

ie 

\tv shows\Ahsoka (2023) [tvdbID=393187]\Season 1\episodename..

You can also use imdbID if you prefer.    Working with movies too - using the tmdbID.

This is sometimes useful if you have extreme examples of two shows with the same name in the same year - also useful if you can't get it to detect for whatever reason.

btw - beta also allows you to 'forget' a show and try and re-identify it.

I've been using Emby for way longer than I care to admit to.  One of the main reasons I chose it over Plex is because of how much better the detection was over Plex at the time.  I think @Gilgamesh_48gave you the best answer, and I'll add that I have over 1100 series, and MAYBE a dozen Emby had issues with, and most of them were remakes of older shows like Twilight Zone, Sabrina, etc.  The naming scheme that works best for me is:

\Series Name, The (Date)
----Season xx
----------Series Name, The (Date) - SxxEyy

You can put other things after the SxxEyy, but the key things are... You need Season folders, otherwise it won't even think it's a Series.  Putting the Series Name on the episode, and having it match the Series folder just ensures detection goes smoother.  Having the date on the Series helps MINIMIZE (not eliminate) issues where there are shows with the same or similar name from different years.  Using two digits for Season is cleaner as well so you don't end up with Season 1 and Season 10 next to each other.

IF it is detected incorrectly, using Identify and putting in a TVDB ID or something is very quick and easy.

aldriglikvid

As requested by @LukeI did a full uninstall and new install of the beta version that was released today. Emby managed to identify 5 of 38 shows, with folders as per scene-standard and folders per a standard that Plex and Jellyfin can identify 100% without manual inputs. Not criticism, simply a statement. 

i.e: 

Disk \ Tv-Shows \ Show-name \ episode-file 

2023-09-29 22_56_32-TV shows.jpg

Edited by aldriglikvid

rbjtech
23 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

As requested by @LukeI did a full uninstall and new install of the beta version that was released today. Emby managed to identify 5 of 38 shows, with folders as per scene-standard and folders per a standard that Plex and Jellyfin can identify 100% without manual inputs. Not criticism, simply a statement. 

i.e: 

Disk \ Tv-Shows \ Show-name \ episode-file 

2023-09-29 22_56_32-TV shows.jpg

What is the difference between a recognised show and a non-recognised show from a folder/filename perspective ?

aldriglikvid

Blackbird identified, Euphoria not. Thinking of it, I believe I manually identified Blackbird last install so it might be that meta-data was saved in the folder. Can't confirm. 

2023-09-29 23_47_01-D__tv_Black Bird (2022) S01 web hevc-d3g.jpg

2023-09-29 23_47_44-D__tv_Euphoria S01 web 10bit hevc-d3g.jpg

rbjtech

So the immediate observation is that there is no Season folder but as you are using the latest beta, I believe this should no longer be an issue but I have not tested this myself.

File naming itself looks perfectly fine.

Once I test the beta, I'll be able to help further - or somebody else who has managed to use the .48 beta may be able to help...

aldriglikvid

It's difficult for me to contribute, because it's easily taken as either laziness or criticism. With that said, from my vantage point I'd say a lot of people would appreciate if Emby natively accepted scene standards for folder structure. This is how folders are made when I ripped my purchased TV shows from blu-ray. I could, of course, acquire the aforementioned software that change my folder structure. I haven't decided on that part just yet. 

The euphoria example worked just fine for me, using your exact file and folder name, so please attach the emby server log from when it was first imported. Thanks.

adminExitium

That doesn't look like the latest version. The logs indicate you are running version 4.8.0.47 whereas the changes for this were added in 4.8.0.48.

Edited by adminExitium