Emby Server Write Permissions with DSM 7.2

dougw03
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

I have Emby installed on DSM 7.2 and have configured permissions exactly as outlined in this article: https://emby.media/support/articles/Synology-Set-Permissions.html and emby has read/write permissions. However, Emby always throws an error when I try to delete titles with please check that emby has write access to this folder. Any ideas what could be causing this?

FrostByte

@dougw03Have you checked the file/folder permissions also (not just the shared folder permissions)?  In order to delete emby will probably need rwx permissions.  You will need to use something like Terminal or WinSCP and then SSH into your NAS.

image.jpeg.25e20288ecd147e83a927add86f0f10a.jpeg

• Thanks 1

FrostByte
2 minutes ago, dougw03 said:

Hi @FrostBytethanks. I can try this but I'm not familiar with the SSH commands. Can you please send me the syntax so I can try this on my end?

Are you using Windows?  If so, I wrote a little guide on setting up WinSCP as superuser.  Once it's all setup then it's just like using Windows Explorer to connect to your NAS and changing permissions.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/103636-how-to-access-synology-nas-as-admin-or-superuser-using-winscp

FrostByte

If you prefer command line, then Terminal comes with all OS's including Windows, Mac, etc. 

Basics of what you will need to do if using Terminal:

- enable admin account on NAS if needed

- enable ssh in Synology settings (Terminal & SSH menu)

- connect with Terminal to Synology, login with admin user and get root rights with:
ssh User@IPADDRESS -p Port# 
-switch to superuser
sudo -i

- adjust owner for folder
chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/MyMedia/Videos
- close Terminal

Thanks @FrostByte. I definitely plan to setup the GUI in the future, but for now I did the quick and dirty method with Putty. I followed your instructions and even rebooted my NAS but I'm still getting the same error in Emby. Do you have any other ideas?

image.png.1e87d8222a73dd1ba3e353bb9c8b5a09.png

• Solution
FrostByte

That just changed the owner.  You probably need to change the permissions also to rwx  using the chmod command.

chmod -R 700 dir

or 770 if you want to give both owner and user rwx

Edited by FrostByte
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...