Control Panel Applet & (Roku) Better Control

artomason

artomason

So far I'm extremely impressed with what I have seen, and I have little room to complain.

SERVER

I do think it would feel more "native" to those operating Windows based servers if the server program acted as a service with the ability to configure its options through a module contained in the "Control Panel" of the Windows Server OS. I have never been very fond of using the web browser to configure settings with in an application as certain security settings have the possibility of inhibiting your ability to experience a webpage as the content creator initially intended it. With that in mind, few have the need to browse media directly on the physical server. You could easily reduce the applications footprint by removing those sections considering the availability of MBT3 if anyone has a need to do so.

ROKU CHANNEL

- The ability to show JUST the Media Collection on the home screen with nothing else.

- Better "watched" / "unwatched" flag would be grand. The current setup, even if I watch a show all the way to the end, only says 98 - 99% watched. It may almost be easier to just put a small corner flag in the frame to indicate you have or have not watched the content.

- Ability to mark content as watched or unwatched.

- Folder hierarchy independent content sorting. Basically instead of have to create individual season folders under each show someone can drop all of their content into the shows top level folder and MB3 will sort that into the appropriate season category based on naming.

- Sort multi-sequel movies under a single folder much like TV Series are done for example the user would click on Starwars listed in the movie collection and could select which Episode they wish to view.

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense. I will be more than happy to clarify when I sober up in the morning.

- Aaron

we're looking to go multi-platform, so building operating system-specific screens like what you're suggesting isn't going to happen. that's why the web based setup makes the most sense.

Please move your Roku comments to the Roku area.

So far I'm extremely impressed with what I have seen, and I have little room to complain.

ROKU CHANNEL

- The ability to show JUST the Media Collection on the home screen with nothing else.

- Better "watched" / "unwatched" flag would be grand. The current setup, even if I watch a show all the way to the end, only says 98 - 99% watched. It may almost be easier to just put a small corner flag in the frame to indicate you have or have not watched the content.

- Ability to mark content as watched or unwatched.

- Folder hierarchy independent content sorting. Basically instead of have to create individual season folders under each show someone can drop all of their content into the shows top level folder and MB3 will sort that into the appropriate season category based on naming.

- Sort multi-sequel movies under a single folder much like TV Series are done for example the user would click on Starwars listed in the movie collection and could select which Episode they wish to view.

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense. I will be more than happy to clarify when I sober up in the morning.

- Aaron

1. Views are the main focus now. So it is doubtful that I will ever add an option to remove them from the home screen. You can however turn on the option to set collections to be the first row of the home screen. But that is probably as close to it your going to get. Sorry.

2. This is not really a Roku thing. This is determined by the percentage you set the server to. Sounds like you have set it to not mark things watched until they are 100% played. It is under Client Settings. Lower the max resume percentage. It will then mark things played once it gets past that point.

3. Next Roku release will have manual marking of played/unplayed.

4. Server thing.

5. This is what the Boxset area is for in both the server and the Roku client.

If you have any other suggestions or questions about the Roku, please do so in the Roku forum so I see them. Just happened across it by chance here. Thanks.

Also, please post one question or issue per thread so we can properly track what is addressed and what is not.  Thanks.