FR: Option to sort music into groups (e.g. Albums, Live, Single, etc.)

MindBullet

MindBullet

Hey there guys,

I've proposed this in some thread already, but I think it would be very handy to sort media of artists into different groups, as musicbrainz does for example.

For instance, implement the option to enable sorting artist's music into, e.g., "Albums", "Singles", "Live albums", "Compilations", etc.

I have no idea if this is quickly done or rather takes a lot of work, but it would be very cool to have imho. Currently, media of bands like AC/DC or Michael Jackson, so artists making music since some decades, have 50+ albums/singles/etc. cluttering the artist view, making it very hard to find a specific item of that artist.

If we would have the option to have this sorted out into different groups, it'd make the artist view more cleaned up.

Cheers boys and girls! Have a great day (or night) ahead!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi.  You could do this now with our "tags" right?  Its just that on the Artist screen we don't show them grouped this way?

MindBullet

Hey there ebr!

Thanks for chiming in. How could I achieve this with tags?

21 hours ago, ebr said:

Its just that on the Artist screen we don't show them grouped this way?

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. To automatically have all media items sorted into their respective group on the artist screen (Album, Single, Live, Compilation, etc.)

As an example:

image.png.a0032c270d41a9f224a6f2f76717e7c4.png

Edited by MindBullet

51 minutes ago, MindBullet said:

How could I achieve this with tags?

You could achieve the basic organization by adding those tags to your albums and then you could view them that way via the "Tags" tab. However, you wouldn't see that on an artist page.

I'm just saying you can get the classifications you want - just not the display exactly like you want so that would have to be added.

MindBullet

Doing this for a few hundred items would be a pain already, but currently I have ~4k albums and will have a lot more. So manually tagging all albums 1 by 1 isn't very practicable

23 hours ago, MindBullet said:

so doing this manually doesn't quite work

How else would these categorizations that you've come up with be done...?

MindBullet
1 hour ago, ebr said:

How else would these categorizations that you've come up with be done...?

Well, as an option on the Emby server side 😅 Just like Plex other server infrastructure providers do.

I don't have the technical knowledge how exactly it's done, but as all of those items are categorized on musicbrainz already - and we/Emby use/s musicbrainz - it shouldn't be to hard to tell any artist: "This is an album, this is a single, this is a compilation", at least that's what I assume that it wouldn't be too hard, as they're already categorized on musicbrainz' end.

Edited by MindBullet

MindBullet

I think Emby or the musicbrainz plugin would just need the ability to catch musicbrainz' categories and reflect that in the artist view. That's what I think it needs, but again, I'm not tech-savvy enough to say how this would be achieved 🙈

Edited by MindBullet

Hi,

I can see value in knowing album vs single vs ep and studio vs live, Compilation (a guess they could be either).

@Luke, @ebr

I think you can get some of this from Picard's standard tag "RELEASETYPE:"

it seems to be a multi value  ie :    album;live

Below are a couple of ffprobe results examples,

ffprobe REALEASETYPE (album;live).txt

ffprobe REALEASETYPE (album).txt

Thanks,

-vicpa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
user24
On 9/22/2023 at 7:41 AM, MindBullet said:

I've proposed this in some thread already, but I think it would be very handy to sort media of artists into different groups, as musicbrainz does for example.

For instance, implement the option to enable sorting artist's music into, e.g., "Albums", "Singles", "Live albums", "Compilations", etc.

On 9/25/2023 at 7:14 AM, Vicpa said:

I can see value in knowing album vs single vs ep and studio vs live, Compilation (a guess they could be either).

This is an interesting idea that may have benefit to many users, me included (but possibly on a limited basis?). In my use case I have 1700+ Album Artists (so far) of which 70+ have between 20 and 110 albums.  The rest have less than 20 albums. So for 5% of my Album Artists the groupings would be very worthwhile, but for the rest it probably wouldn't matter greatly.

I like the categories that have been suggested, i.e.:

• Studio Albums
  • Singles / EPs
  • Live Albums
  • Compilations

This seems to be very common amongst online music database sources.

Invariably there would always need to be an "Other" Category as a catch-all for everything that didn't fit well within the defined categories. Off-hand I can think of: Soundtracks, Music Videos, Bootlegs, Unreleased Albums, FM Broadcasts, Box Sets, Deluxe Editions, Remasters. The list goes on...!

Using a user-defined Emby "Release Type" tag does have some merit, I think. Then every user can determine what release types best suit their own music collection. It could be as simple or complex, as required. And, it would only need to be used by those who wanted to.

Emby could allow Albums to be sorted/filtered by Release Type and/or have the option of showing the Release Type underneath the Album Cover picture.

E.g. ... / Settings / Show Fields / Release Type / Live

On 9/23/2023 at 9:37 PM, ebr said:

You could achieve the basic organization by adding those tags to your albums and then you could view them that way via the "Tags" tab. However, you wouldn't see that on an artist page.

I'm just saying you can get the classifications you want - just not the display exactly like you want so that would have to be added.

At the moment if Albums are Emby tagged (e.g) as "Live" it is also possible to view all the Albums on an Album Artist page and then filter by the "Live" tag without going to the Tags tab. That way you can see all the "Live" Albums of the Artist at 1 level down on the Artist page. I know that is not what @MindBulletis suggesting. I was just interested in trying to find another possible (easy!) workaround to get a viable option. 

Anyway, it's a good suggestion and has got me thinking about new and better ways to organise my music!

• Thanks 1

Tremas
On 9/24/2023 at 5:44 PM, Vicpa said:

Hi,

@Luke, @ebr

I think you can get some of this from Picard's standard tag "RELEASETYPE:"

it seems to be a multi value  ie :    album;live

Below are a couple of ffprobe results examples,

ffprobe REALEASETYPE (album;live).txt 12.68 kB · 2 downloads

ffprobe REALEASETYPE (album).txt 8.38 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks,

-vicpa

Fully supporting Release Group / Type from MusicBrainz would be super helpful in improving life for those who use Audio Books (and Audio Drama). MusicBrainz recognizes primary Release Types (album, single, EP, etc.) as well as secondary Types (Soundtrack, Live, Audiobook, Demo, etc.). See here:  https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Release_Group/Type

For those who have been trying to get a polished presentation/navigation experience with Audio Books this would be huge. Many books have excellent metadata on MusicBrainz and it would be huge if Emby could finally support the data for narrator, author, series (book number in series), etc.

• Thanks 1

ginjaninja

related to this? this thread outlines what the album type schema is (or at least was) from MBZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

user24
On 12/16/2023 at 7:57 AM, ginjaninja said:

related to this? this thread outlines what the album type schema is (or at least was) from MBZ

@ginjaninjaThanks for providing the detailed and well thought through info - good to know. I hadn't seen this older thread.

Another possibly could be to designate the Release Type  as an icon image overlay using the Iconic Image Enhancer plugin when (if?) it is updated to work with music files.

This way it would be possible to see all albums together, but easily make the distinction as to which were studio, live. compilation, soundtrack, etc.

If worthwhile, it would be great if the Emby music gurus could champion this on the relevant plugin thread

• Like 1