Question About Subtitles and Sub Killer Plugin

Dizzy49

The vast majority of my videos have subs baked into them.  Many have quite a few languages that I don't need/want, or the video is in English and I just don't need them.

First off a question about Subtitles.  I remember I was trying to play a very high bitrate video that had a ton of subtitles in it.  There were two or three versions of English.  If I remember correctly one one them caused the video to need to be transcoded and ended up causing stuttering.  The other version of English only required partial transcoding or something.

Ideally I want to figure out what options are best for my setup.  A very good portion of my videos are 4k, with many of them HDR.  Only a few of our devices can play them natively.  The majority of the devices are phones and/or 1080p devices.  We have a handful of 4k w/o HDR, and a couple with 4k HDR. 
Is it best to have the subs baked in, or as separate files?  After some reading I believe that having them as separate files is best b/c then the video doesn't need to be transcoded, or it's done differently in a way that is far more efficient.

That brings me to Sub Killer.  My understanding is that it can not only remove the subs that I don't want, but using the "Extract Text Based Subtitles" it will extract the subs to a file.
I don't understand the option about the Forced Subtitles under it though.

I would appreciate some clarity.  After some years I have finally gotten some time to dedicate to tweaking Emby some more :)

Is it best to have the subs baked in, or as separate files? 

Separate files are always more efficient to deliver. If they're embedded sometimes the server will try to extract them, and sometimes this can take a long time.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Separate files are always more efficient to deliver. If they're embedded sometimes the server will try to extract them, and sometimes this can take a long time.

So then I'd want to use the Extract Text Based Subtitles and just select English.  It would then extract the English subs and purge the rest.

What does the "Extract Only Forced Subtitles - This overrides Extract Text Based" do?  How is it different?  I WON'T be running this on any anime.

Now I just need a similar plugin to remove audio tracks I don't want to really slim things down nicely :)

2 minutes ago, Dizzy49 said:

So then I'd want to use the Extract Text Based Subtitles and just select English.  It would then extract the English subs and purge the rest.

What does the "Extract Only Forced Subtitles - This overrides Extract Text Based" do?  How is it different?  I WON'T be running this on any anime.

Now I just need a similar plugin to remove audio tracks I don't want to really slim things down nicely :)

We'll need help from the plugin developer in order to answer that. 

@bakes82@rbjtechmay know.

53 minutes ago, Luke said:

We'll need help from the plugin developer in order to answer that. 

@bakes82@rbjtechmay know.

Im not a dev of this 😛  I HATE subtitles I say you remove support for them, if the video doesnt auto embed the foreign to english I just make it up.  So far I havent had issues :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bakes82 said:

Im not a dev of this 😛  I HATE subtitles I say you remove support for them, if the video doesnt auto embed the foreign to english I just make it up.  So far I havent had issues :)

We have made up dialog before, lol.  My daughter is bilingual so she likes to watch Mexican movies with Spanish dialog, and my Spanish is worse than my English so I need subs!