Very, very low trailer quality

AllesMeins

rbjtech
14 hours ago, Ronstang said:

Yes, but then it acts like an extra and you have to navigate down, find the trailer and click on it.  How it should work is if you have a LOCAL stored "real" trailer, not YouTube garbage, then hitting the trailer button should play the local trailer and avoid YouTube altogether.  So basically locally stored trailers are useless and YouTube trailers are useless.  So for now, at least for me, trailers in emby are not worth messing with.  I have a bunch stored offline hoping someday they'll be usable.

How locally trailers SHOULD work is like Netflix....when you select a movie and go to it's info page if there is a locally stored trailer it should play in the background.....now that would be slick and it could be optional too.   

I don't believe this is correct - I use downloaded trailers and they play instead of the YT ones when I click on the Trailers  button on the emby client ?

As above -

Movies - need to be filename-trailer.ext in the same folder

TV Shows - need to be ..\trailers\trailer.ext as a subfolder in the root of the TV Show

You'll need to re-scan the item, but then it will use  the locally stored trailer instead.

14 hours ago, Ronstang said:

How locally trailers SHOULD work is like Netflix....when you select a movie and go to it's info page if there is a locally stored trailer it should play in the background.....now that would be slick and it could be optional too.   

and you could do this, by just using a 'backdrops' folder instead of trailers - it would then play the Trailer as a backdrop ...  This assumes of course that the client can play backdrop video - some cannot .. :(

https://emby.media/support/articles/Theme-Songs-Videos.html

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

I don't believe this is correct - I use downloaded trailers and they play instead of the YT ones when I click on the Trailers  button on the emby client ?

You are correct - I have 10,000+ local trailers and they all play on Trailers button press in all the clients I use (Web app, Win Theater(s), Android app, AndroidTV app). 

Movies - need to be filename-trailer.ext in the same folder

Or in \trailers subfolder, whereas for TV shows it works only with subfolder, as you've stated:

TV Shows - need to be ..\trailers\trailer.ext as a subfolder in the root of the TV Show

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ronstang
17 hours ago, rbjtech said:

17 hours ago, rbjtech said:

and you could do this, by just using a 'backdrops' folder instead of trailers - it would then play the Trailer as a backdrop ...  This assumes of course that the client can play backdrop video - some cannot .. :(

16 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

You are correct - I have 10,000+ local trailers and they all play on Trailers button press in all the clients I use (Web app, Win Theater(s), Android app, AndroidTV app). 

Oh wow....color me stupid!! 🤯 See what happens when you open your mouth without being informed?  I made some horrible assumptions because I never looked deep enough.  I have always hated the YT trailers and that damned button because if you hit it by accident in some clients it won't let you back out quickly and it sometimes crashes the app....then I have to clear the cache to get emby to restart. 

I apologize for thinking about this all wrong for so long....but one good thing about being wrong and making mistakes is then someone comes along and schools you!  Thank you gentlemen.  I will definitely experiment with this when I have some time to play.  It would definitely be nice to use all these trailers I have stacked up.....if I can remember where I put them. 🤔

This is all really promising 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ronstang said:

and it sometimes crashes the app....then I have to clear the cache to get emby to restart. 

We should definitely take  look at that so please start a new topic with details.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
revan415

Honestly, emby should take this off the marketing site. It shouldn’t be advertised in the current state. I also purchased a premier license and this was a motivating factor, but these trailers are not watchable. If there is no solution, it shouldn’t be a feature. 

If manual trailer videos is the only solution, it should be clearly stated in the marketing info about the feature.  I.e. “Trailers like the movies! (Downloading trailer content required)”  

Great server streaming platform with a ton of great features, this is a small blemish, but one all the same. 

• Like 1

hoopsdavis

I agree with everything you mentioned.   This isn't any attempt to discredit Emby, we enjoy and appreciate the time and work that goes into the platform.     

When I setup trailers about a year ago they seemed to be of decent quality.  Recently they started being basically unwatchable (480 or less) so I turned off the trailers altogether.  It would be nice to be able to watch high quality trailers with the same level of setup as what was working before.

• 4 weeks later...
MangaAddict

I've been using Vantage Point and loving it, but the trailer quality is abysmal and there are too many Spanish movies. I do have a suggestion I hope the devs can implement. Years ago, I used a program inside of Kodi, I think its name was Cinema Experience, which is very similar to Vantage Point. The main difference is that I had a specific folder designated for Trailers. I used a program to download new and upcoming trailers in whatever quality (usually 1080p) I wanted from HD-Trailers.net so I just got the trailers, no channel info whatsoever before or after. This was fully automated, I never knew what trailers were added, so I'd always see new trailers before watching my movies. Would it be possible to add this feature into Emby? The ability to set one specific folder to pull trailers from before movies? At least as an option? If anyone is interested, the software I used to download from HDTrailers is HD-Trailers.net Downloader 2.1

Edit. It seems HD-Trailers.net isn't being updated anymore, since Apple shut down Apple Trailers. I'll look for an alternative and report back 😔

Edited by MangaAddict
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MangaAddict said:

The ability to set one specific folder to pull trailers from before movies?

Hi.  Our Cinema Intros feature already has this ability.

• Thanks 1

MangaAddict
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Really? How do I assign that folder? I'm familiar with local trailers which play trailers for existing movies once you append -trailer to the title and include them in the individual movie folder, but how can I add a folder containing upcoming movie trailers and have only those play before a movie? 

hoopsdavis
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Help me understand.   Trailers are included with the paid Premier service, correct?

This is not an accusation of any kind, just trying to get an understanding and provide an opinion.

IF trailers are part of the service we're paying for, the trailers provided should be watchable and we shouldn't have to go out to get trailers ourselves.  (I could be misunderstanding what's included with the trailer service included in the paid Premier service).

My thought is, if trailers are part of the paid service and you're unable to provide a better quality of trailers, maybe remove that option from the premier service and provide it as part of the free account.   My thoughts on this is when this was offered before recent months we were paying for a good visual quality of trailer service, not they're unwatchable but we're still paying the same.   I have no issue paying the premier fees, I understand much of the developers time isnt a paid Dev rate.   Maybe remove trailers from the source until a better quality can be offered. 

4 minutes ago, MangaAddict said:

how can I add a folder containing upcoming movie trailers and have only those play before a movie? 

image.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hoopsdavis said:

Trailers are included with the paid Premier service, correct?

Yes they are one feature of many included with Premiere.

Our source for high quality trailers was removed last year and we are doing our best to find the best way to replace it.  However, it isn't the highest priority thing we are working right now.  We apologize for the disruption.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

MangaAddict
1 minute ago, ebr said:

image.png

Thank you soo much! I'm going to try this now.

MangaAddict
7 hours ago, ebr said:

image.png

Update: This didn't work, now no trailers play before movies at all. Vantage Point also continues to use online low-quality trailers. I created a new folder and downloaded several trailers there, appended -trailers, and tried that, didn't work. I added the folder to the library, still didn't work. Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...
Stroudy

The YouTube trailers do look trash on my Android TV (Google TV).

But they look really good quality on my phone (Pixel 7 Pro).

No idea why YouTube decides that 1 should have good quality and the other should have bad?

Kyrunner
On 1/6/2024 at 5:46 PM, MangaAddict said:

Update: This didn't work, now no trailers play before movies at all. Vantage Point also continues to use online low-quality trailers. I created a new folder and downloaded several trailers there, appended -trailers, and tried that, didn't work. I added the folder to the library, still didn't work. Am I missing something?

I just tested this and it worked great I just created a folder named it Extras and put some trailers in there and pointed to the path of the folders I didn’t even have to do a scan or anything. 

MangaAddict
34 minutes ago, Kyrunner said:

I just tested this and it worked great I just created a folder named it Extras and put some trailers in there and pointed to the path of the folders I didn’t even have to do a scan or anything. 

Is your Extras folder located inside the Movies folder? I'm using Unraid, so I don't know if that's why it isn't working. Did you also append -trailer? 

Kyrunner
26 minutes ago, MangaAddict said:

Is your Extras folder located inside the Movies folder? I'm using Unraid, so I don't know if that's why it isn't working. Did you also append -trailer? 

Nope just created an Extras folder dropped in a shared drive on my nas and pointed a emby to the folder. I didn’t add anything to the naming 

MangaAddict
1 minute ago, Kyrunner said:

Nope just created an Extras folder dropped in a shared drive on my nas and pointed a emby to the folder. I didn’t add anything to the naming 

Strange, I did the same thing and it didn't work. I'll try again. Thanks 

visproduction

Did someone already mention that you can put trailers into a subfolder trailers in the folder where the main media is?  That seems to work.  I think it just pulls alphabetically one after another, if you have a few trailers in there.

Cool Hand Luke (1967) - 720.mp4
(subfolder)
    trailers 
       Cool Hand Luke trailer 01.mp4
       Cool Hand Luke trailer 02.mp4
===
nice collection of newer trailers easy to download: https://www.hd-trailers.net/page/1/