Very, very low trailer quality

AllesMeins

AllesMeins

After the long summer-break today I finally fired up my emby again to have a nice movie night and I was very irritated by the quality of the trailers. They all looked like something from the beginning of the internet - even trailers for upcoming big budget movies. I'd argue what I got served isn't even 360p (or if so than with an extremely high compression).

Did something change over the summer or is this some kind of bug or wrong option on my side? I don't expect 4k quality, but it would be nice to at least be able to recognize some faces. Quite frankly: With a quality like this I might as well watch no trailers. Is there anything that I can do to fix this?Screenshot_20230921_221424.thumb.png.efea3374580f6e64d7241e83c0ac5425.pngScreenshot_20230921_222033.thumb.png.6989a7da5702e61e437b71647ad7ac2a.png

• Agree 1

darkassassin07

Trailers are just youtube links playing in YouTube's embedded player. YouTube has been notoriously terrible at 'auto' quality selection unfortunately. (it's one of the reasons I use youtube vanced on android, forced quality settings)

For whatever reason youtube thinks your internet connection is poor and is downgrading the quality 'to help it load faster'.

Not sure why the manual quality selection isn't available though. @Lukeis that something that can be enabled/made available?

visproduction

I believe Youtube's policy is to only show a low res or possibly even the lowest res version on any embedded video code on a remote site.  If that's true, then a trailer that happens to have a 360P version available will send that version.  If you choose another trailer media in Youtube, by changing the link inside the .nko file and that media at youtube has only a 720P copy, then the trailer will look great.

It could be that youtube has different rules on when to convert a video to multiple resolution.  Maybe the official media owner's channel or movie studio has their channel set to stream only certain quality.  Maybe they did it one way for a while and changed it.  I think you are always going to get random changes in trailer quality when you auto grab some youtube trailer.  The only way around it would be maybe to make an agreement with a provider to always guarantee higher quality.  Youtube won't like that because they are not serving the same ads on embed.  Anyway, I don't know if there is any code solution.  Lower quality happens, based on different business policies at Youtube.

pwhodges

I have a couple of programs to download from YouTube - they can choose the quality or be set to "highest".  I don't see why the same facility would be denied to Emby.

Paul

darkassassin07
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

I have a couple of programs to download from YouTube - they can choose the quality or be set to "highest".  I don't see why the same facility would be denied to Emby.

Paul

Every single one of those programs violates youtubes TOS. Emby is trying to stay above board as it were. They will only have access to what youtube allows or deal with legal pressure from YouTube.

• Agree 2

Yea I'm having the same issues running Emby on Nvidia shield. Trailers are unwatchable due to the awful quality. I can play the same trailer on YouTube with Shield and it runs in UHD flawlessly.

13 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

Every single one of those programs violates youtubes TOS. Emby is trying to stay above board as it were. They will only have access to what youtube allows or deal with legal pressure from YouTube.

Correct.

AllesMeins
13 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

It is kind of strange that the industry nerver created an "offcial" source for trailers. There is an audience that basically goes "Hey, Movie-Industry we'd really like to see your commercials at home" and they go "sorry, we spend millions on the advertising campaign for our product but we're only going to show it on this one for-profit service that is really restrictive with where you can watch our ads".

Edited by AllesMeins
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, AllesMeins said:

It is kind of strange that there was never an "offcial" source for trailers. There is an audience that basically goes "Hey, Movie-Industry we'd really like to see your commercials at home" and they go "sorry, we spend millions on the advertising campaign for our product but we're only going to show it on this one for-profit service that is really restrictive with where you can watch our ads".

Yeah, it does seem like the studios/networks would benefit from creating some easier access to these as they are actually advertisements.  The restrictions mentioned are those of the platform upon which these exist rather than the content providers themselves.  YT makes money by showing advertisers the number of people who's eyes are on their platform.  If you go around their platform to get to their content, this completely invalidates their ability to exist as a business.

• 3 weeks later...
hoopsdavis

Hi guys, having low quality trailer for months has gotten to be a bit annoying.   What are you doing to remedy this issue?  
Watching trailers from youtube shows the HD quality, this only appears to be happening via emby.   Can we please get an update
I don't see the point of continuing to pay for Emby Premiere if we're not getting all features at full quality.

Please let us know what's being done to remedy this issue as well as when we should see the trailer quality improve.

Thanks

Edited by hoopsdavis

blgentry

This feature, showing trailers before MY movies, was something I thought would be really neat.  It's part of the reason I initially subscribed to Emby Premiere.  But, at this point, I have it turned off on all of my clients.  The quality is too low.  Also, something like 10% of the time, I get trailers for English movies, in other languages.  Seems to mostly be Spanish. 

I'd very much enjoy it if the trailers feature had 1080p trailers.  I would use it again if the viewing experience was better.  As it is, it's extremely jarring.  The quality is many levels below 480p DVD rips.  It's mostly unwatchable. I don't mean to be harsh.  I'm just giving my honest opinion.

Thanks,

Brian.

visproduction

Blg,

Youtube embed playback policy has been to play only a low quality version, if there is one.  To be clear, if there are 3 resolution options for media at youtube.  Anyone who plays that video on another webpage, using embed the lowest quality copy is sent.  This is baked into the code from Youtube.  I don't think there an easy way to change that.  Sometimes the media on youtube only has a higher res copy.  Then you are in luck.

You can change the media choice by editing the link inside the .nfo file, if you have .nfo turned on with Emby.

Hope that helps.

hoopsdavis
9 hours ago, visproduction said:

Blg,

Youtube embed playback policy has been to play only a low quality version, if there is one.  To be clear, if there are 3 resolution options for media at youtube.  Anyone who plays that video on another webpage, using embed the lowest quality copy is sent.  This is baked into the code from Youtube.  I don't think there an easy way to change that.  Sometimes the media on youtube only has a higher res copy.  Then you are in luck.

You can change the media choice by editing the link inside the .nfo file, if you have .nfo turned on with Emby.

Hope that helps.

Hi visproduction, do you have any recommended media choices we can use to edit the nfo file?

pwhodges
12 hours ago, visproduction said:

Anyone who plays that video on another webpage, using embed the lowest quality copy is sent.  This is baked into the code from Youtube.  I don't think there an easy way to change that.

My understanding of the position quite recently was that the quality was chosen automatically to suit the display position, so that for instance:

<iframe style='width:100%; height:800px;' src='https://www.youtube.com/embed/xxxxxxxx'></iframe>

would be sent a 720p if available.  I don't know if there is any way for Emby to leverage that, though.

Paul

• Like 1

visproduction
On 10/13/2023 at 4:29 AM, hoopsdavis said:

Hi visproduction, do you have any recommended media choices we can use to edit the nfo file?

Hoop,
Not sure what you mean.  Each trailer source from Youtube might have only 720P or a lot of resolutions combined.  Youtube might have some policy that with heavy use the copies are updated with multiple resolutions or maybe it's a choice by the channel owner, or it's a professional channel studio that sets that as an option.  Maybe a single user who just happened to have a high res copy uploads it and in the next month or so, only 100 users play it, then Youtube leaves the 720P alone.  I have no idea what they have coded into their API.  I just noticed that often embed gets low res.

Maybe pwhodges idea with the iframe style command can help.  Whatever might work, it probably will stop working because Youtube's approach is to try to drive users to their site directly to see high quality content and also view the ads.  Tweaking a Youtube related plugin, even if it has been allowed to work, is sort of waste of time.  Their code changes so often, that whatever you figure out today is broken in a month or so.  So unless there is a premium service that Youtube offers for trailers with ads, I think code developers should spend their time doing other things that can work for longer than a couple months.  That's just my opinion.

rbjtech

If people want HD or even UHD trailers, then they are available in the public domain as they are released by the movie distribution companies.   Yes you'll need to go and find them but a quick web search will point you to a legal source.   You'll need to download them of course, and use the suffix -trailer and then they will show alongside your movie rather than the YT junk but if you want HD/UHD by 'legit' means, that's what you need to do.

Of course YT and movie distro companies work together to NOT make these easily available to stream in HD/UHD - they both get a % of the Ad revenue shown every 30 seconds - ruining the trailer in the process...

Edited by rbjtech

AllesMeins
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

If people want HD or even UHD trailers, then they are available in the public domain as they are released by the movie distribution companies.   Yes you'll need to go and find them but a quick web search will point you to a legal source.

Well there are still some levels of degrees between expecting UHD quality and wanting to be able to distinguish whether it is Scarlett Johansson or Robert De Niro your currently seeing on screen :)

I know that it isn't in the hand of the emby developers which quality is served by YouTube, but on the other hand they actively promote it as part of their premium subscription. And for me it is one major reason why I'm paying for it because I wanted to avoid investing the time to manually curate a trailer library.

Edited by AllesMeins
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
Mopar_Mudder

Same problem here. It use to work flawlessly so I don't know what changed that broke it. Now the trailers are unwatchable, in another language, or from some obscure site. I finally had to shut it off, couldn't take it anymore.

Does anyone know if other HTPC software has the same problem? Say like Plex, I don't know what else it out there now days, been with Emby for years.

darkassassin07

Given YouTubes current fight against ad-blockers/third-party clients I'm surprised trailers still work at all. YouTube doesn't want you viewing their content with anything but their own clients/software.

There's not many reliable sources of trailers really, that's not Embys fault. They're likely open to suggestions though, as long as those suggestions are legal/not violating other platforms ToS.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

Ronstang
19 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

You can store trailer files locally named "<title>-trailer.ext".

Yes, but then it acts like an extra and you have to navigate down, find the trailer and click on it.  How it should work is if you have a LOCAL stored "real" trailer, not YouTube garbage, then hitting the trailer button should play the local trailer and avoid YouTube altogether.  So basically locally stored trailers are useless and YouTube trailers are useless.  So for now, at least for me, trailers in emby are not worth messing with.  I have a bunch stored offline hoping someday they'll be usable.

How locally trailers SHOULD work is like Netflix....when you select a movie and go to it's info page if there is a locally stored trailer it should play in the background.....now that would be slick and it could be optional too.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1