Emby on main PC ?

Grumpy1

Do any of you run emby on your main PC ?

i currently use a windows PC in the basement for emby but sometimes just wonder if it would be easier to run it on my main PC .

getting the shares to show up in windows 10 can be a huge pain because of windows credentials

for those that do , do you see any downsides to doing it.

Its just me and my wife that use it , my son on the odd occasion --all local

i have a decent main  Pc that i dont do much with anyway

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700KF @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz

32g ram

3080 video card

thanks

arrbee99

I do. Just seemed the obvious way to do it. Also, at the time main PC = only PC...

Works fine to send stuff round the house and easy to add drives to PC and Emby.

Guess a disadvantage might be it uses more power than some kind of mini PC or server / NAS, but it works, so if it ain't broke...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emby Theater is installed only on my Win 11 laptop and then I only use it when traveling and logging back into my NAS that runs the server. Otherwise I use Roku devices to run Emby Theater that connects to the NAS.

The only exception is I run EMC on an Intel NUC for the Home Theater otherwise no PC usage. If NVidea ever decides to update the Shield that will be my next device. The Roku and Shield are much easier to handle then a PC especially if you have a decent Universal Remote control, no mouse or keyboard.

• Like 1

RanmaCanada

I used to, but it was a PITA to deal with users being online if I wanted to reboot.  I found it was easier to just get a laptop (first was an i3-8130u and upgraded to a i3-1115G4) to host the server software while the data is on a NAS in the basement.  The laptop makes it easier to deal with as you have a mouse/keyboard and monitor built in.  Even for playback I do prefer to use a FireCube 3rd gen as DV and HDR are so broken in windows.  Laptop uses 20 watts at peak when doing unsupported subtitle burn in, but other than that usually sits around 3-5 watts.

• Like 1