Multiple versions, but not in one item inside library?

cenunix
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

So, I thought that having two items with different resolutions would combine them into one item, and give me the option to select which version. I believe i have followed the naming scheme to achieve this, am I making a mistake somewhere? or perhaps i need to clear cache or something? I'm using filebot to name all of my media, so I have deleted the library, recreated it, and tested it with one single item to make sure my naming conventions are good before I scan the rest of the library. (these files are symlinks, if thats important)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/307521333926035457/1154395142883647611/image.pnghttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/307521333926035457/1154395030228832327/image.png

Hello cenunix,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pwhodges

For automatic multi-versioning of movies, put the files in the same folder, name them the same as the folder plus a hyphen (with spaces is OK) and a simple description which will go in the selection dropdown.  Note that "the same" means exactly that, not "pretty similar" which is where a lot of people go wrong.

e.g :

Folder:  My Movie (year)
file 1: My Movie (year) - 1080p.mkv
file 2: My Movie (year) - 4k.mkv

The dropdown selector will show "1080p" and "4k"

Paul

I see, did you see my screenshot of file names? (down below). If i'm understanding correctly, should my file names also include the [tmdbid=64688]? in the wiki post tmdbid was not in the folder name, which is probably where I assumed wrong, thanks.image.png.b4ab363848343adcfd40db2bfa0f3328.png

• Solution
rbjtech
34 minutes ago, cenunix said:

I see, did you see my screenshot of file names? (down below). If i'm understanding correctly, should my file names also include the [tmdbid=64688]? in the wiki post tmdbid was not in the folder name, which is probably where I assumed wrong, thanks.image.png.b4ab363848343adcfd40db2bfa0f3328.png

Correct - the filename needs to contain EXACTLY the same name as the folder.

In your case -

/21 Jump Street (2012) [tmdbid=64688]/21 Jump Street (2012) [tmdbid=64688] - 1080p.mkv

/21 Jump Street (2012) [tmdbid=64688]/21 Jump Street (2012) [tmdbid=64688] - 2160p.mkv

If using the *arr's to rename - simply ensure you add that variable into the renaming for the filename as well.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem today and it took quite sometime to figure it out, I'm also not sure if this is a good thing or not...

@Luke Any plan to make the multi version feature a bit smarted? at the moment my folder structure is with [tmdbid] but not the file names, wouldn't it make sense to detect the movie  name seperated from the folder name and then it versions?

9 hours ago, EFEris said:

I had the same problem today and it took quite sometime to figure it out, I'm also not sure if this is a good thing or not...

@Luke Any plan to make the multi version feature a bit smarted? at the moment my folder structure is with [tmdbid] but not the file names, wouldn't it make sense to detect the movie  name seperated from the folder name and then it versions?

HI, yes it's possible for future updates. Thanks.

OK thanks for the feedback, looking on competitor naming schema uses {edition-xxx} for edition version labeling which sounds like a okayish way.