"Edit this user's profile, image and personal preferences"

ZLuckyTraveler

ZLuckyTraveler

What are the API calls to read this setting from a user and save or copy it to another user?

"Edit this user's profile, image and personal preferences"

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 12.01.15 PM.png

Edited by ZLuckyTraveler

ZLuckyTraveler
If I open dev tools in my browser and go to the network tab. Once I start saving certain settings within Emby I can see network calls to the server (including the one to /Configuration) you specified above. But there is no traffic back to the server when you do the user's profile, image and personal preferences changes

But there is no traffic back to the server when you do the user's profile, image

Hi, yes there certainly is because this is where that information is stored.

ZLuckyTraveler
45 minutes ago, adminExitium said:

Can confirm, requests are sent and visible in the browser network console when making any changes.

Can you screenshot or screen record it, because I’m not seeing it. 

adminExitium

Can you post a screen record of the behaviour that you are seeing first so we can clear any confusion regarding the exact action performed? Make sure that you haven't accidentally filtered by the wrong type of request in the browser network console.

ZLuckyTraveler

Well this is different than what you had said previously.

On 9/20/2023 at 1:54 PM, Luke said:

Hi, yes there certainly is because this is where that information is stored.

So which exact settings from "Edit this user's profile, image and personal preferences" are stored where? Because settings being stored client-side cannot be copied.

Edited by ZLuckyTraveler

Apologies for the mixup. Most of those settings are stored server side, but there are some exceptions, mainly the ones that you might actually want to be different from one screen to the next.

ZLuckyTraveler
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Apologies for the mixup. Most of those settings are stored server side, but there are some exceptions, mainly the ones that you might actually want to be different from one screen to the next.

Which specific Playback and Home Screen settings are stored server side? 

Pretty much every home screen setting should be server-side. it's possible I'm forgetting something, but that's the kind of thing most will want to be consistent across devices.

For playback, the things that are preferences are going to be server-side. So for example, anything related to audio or subtitle languages. 

The things that are tied to network connections or devices such as playback qualities, those are client-side. Those are not preferences. You set those based on your network conditions and that could vary from one device to the next.

There are two preferences that are exceptions and are stored client-side:

• enabling cinema intros
  • all of the subtitle appearance settings

For those we thought users may want to change those from one device to the next, so those are client-side.

adminExitium

Just an idea, but would it be possible to allow preferences like qualities to also have defaults that are stored on the server with the possibility of being overridden on the client?

I have seen a lot of users that simply don't know about those settings unless guided to and are perfectly happy streaming at the defaults, even if it may not be the best for their connection or the server.

Not sure if there's already a FR for the same or you want me to create one, if its doable?

• Like 1

ZLuckyTraveler
16 hours ago, adminExitium said:

Just an idea, but would it be possible to allow preferences like qualities to also have defaults that are stored on the server with the possibility of being overridden on the client?

I have seen a lot of users that simply don't know about those settings unless guided to and are perfectly happy streaming at the defaults, even if it may not be the best for their connection or the server.

Not sure if there's already a FR for the same or you want me to create one, if its doable?

I completely agree, and feel like this should be available, if you find a way to do it, please let me know.