Audio delay when watching movie/tv shows with flac audio track

Marcus1305

Marcus1305

HI,

a few months ago I was watching a movie which had 2 audio tracks ( one was dts hd which isn't supported by Samsung and the second one was flac audio track so I chose that one for compatibility). I immediately noticed audio delay and thought that audio delay was caused by bad quality (or mistake) of the bluray remux. Recently I started watching tv show which has only flac audio tracks and noticed audio delay again, also tried playing it directly through dlna server with integrated video player and that's when I realised it is Samsung related problem. I know things like this are hard to fix but I am interested to hear your opinion on this matter.

My tv model is Samsung Q70R; Emby app version is 1.6.1

wolfram84

Same thing happening here... It also happens with Plex and Roku so prolly a TV issue? I just migrated from Plex to Emby but I'm having a hard time getting used with the subtitles position... why emby doesnt offer an option to change them vertically? I hate when they are too high like in the emby app and no way to move them, just to change the offset...All in all emby is a great app, but the subtitle is really annoying when you are used to a position like I was on Plex.

Edited by wolfram84

Marcus1305
6 minutes ago, wolfram84 said:

Same thing happening here... It also happens with Plex and Roku so prolly a TV issue? I just migrated from Plex to Emby but I'm having a hard time getting used with the subtitles position... why emby doesnt offer an option to change them vertically? I hate when they are too high like in the emby app and no way to move them, just to change the offset...All in all emby is a great app, but the subtitle is really annoying when you are used to a position like I was on Plex.

Yeah that's what I noticed too. It would be good if we could change subtitle position up or down.

FrostByte

I don't believe flac is supported either within video.

Take a look at your user's manual and in the back, you should see a chart like the one in the link below.

https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2019-tv-video-specifications.html

In my user's manual flac is only listed for music formats.

If the flac audio track is stereo, you can convert it back to PCM which is compatible.  That's the format it should have been originally on disc.  Somone must have converted it to flac at some point to save space.

Edited by FrostByte

wolfram84

You're correct FrostByte, even if I attach an external HDD on my Samsung TV and play through there, FLAC audio will always show an odd delay... 

• Like 1

Marcus1305
On 9/18/2023 at 8:16 PM, FrostByte said:

I don't believe flac is supported either within video.

Take a look at your user's manual and in the back, you should see a chart like the one in the link below.

https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2019-tv-video-specifications.html

In my user's manual flac is only listed for music formats.

If the flac audio track is stereo, you can convert it back to PCM which is compatible.  That's the format it should have been originally on disc.  Somone must have converted it to flac at some point to save space.

There are flac audio tracks for older movies they are very common (you are most likely right that they are converted but it seems like it is common practice and only logical solution when remuxing the old movies with pcm track). Also Japanese Anime are exclusively with flac audio track. I understand that in manual it says it is not supported, but I can play it and I hear the audio the only problem is that samsung has this bug which makes the flac audio track delay compared to video.

Edited by Marcus1305
  • Like 1

rbjtech

Worth checking out the mediaInfo on such files - they delay may be tunable via the 'Delay relative to Video' setting in the MKV for example, but it does sound like the issue is the conversion within the TV.

Marcus1305
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Worth checking out the mediaInfo on such files - they delay may be tunable via the 'Delay relative to Video' setting in the MKV for example, but it does sound like the issue is the conversion within the TV.

If I play them on other devices it is fine, it is only happening on the tv.

• Thanks 1