Unnecessary transcoding while playing DolbyVision file to LG C2 Tv

GeekyBash

GeekyBash

I have a Dolby Vison Mp4 file which I am trying to play on LG C2 TV. For some reason the video stream is getting transcoded and is coming all washed out. While another Mp4 works fine. And the File was having issues with is playing fine on Jellyfin without any transcoding and as a proper Dolby Vision(The TV shows a popup).

I got the JSON output from ffprobe command - 

ffprobe.exe -i file:"E:\Movies\Spider-Man - Across the Spider-Verse (2023)\Spider-Man - Across the Spider-Verse (2023) [imdbid=tt9362722] [tmdbid=569094].mp4" -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_chapters -show_format -show_data > spiderman.json

Error file direct play on JF.HEIC Error file on JF.HEIC Normal file direct play.HEIC Normal file Video stream.HEIC Error file transcode.HEIC Error File Video stream.HEIC arrival.json spiderman.json

Hello GeekyBash,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

rbjtech

So the two files in your first post are different levels of DV.

Arrival is DV 5.6 (DV Only)

Spiderman is DV 8.6 (DV + HDR10)

As the LG C2 Supports both these types of DV, then it should direct play them both - I know my C8 does - but I don't use the Emby LG Client - so I suspect it's related to the client not recognising the level of DV properly in the MP4.

rbjtech
22 minutes ago, GeekyBash said:

How else you play? From the browser?

I use a Nvidia Shield,  Samsung Client, FireTV Clients and browsers.

But browsers won't play DV, nor will Samsung (as their TV's don't support DV).

To be clear, the LG Client will definately play DV - I used to play DV myself before I moved onto the Android Client (Shield) but the LG client is much more fussy - needing MP4 for example, as MKV is not supported (or wasn't with the C8 anyway).

Worth moving this to the LG Section in the forum anyway - as this is an LG Client issue, not a general issue.   Ask a Mod to move it and it will get more focus that way ...