HDR/Framerate switching

eL1337-

I'm running Emby Theatre on a PC that I use for gaming as well. Can't run 120Hz UHD though. In Plex when I enable framerate sync it'll automatically enable HDR when the video is UHD < 60Hz, without me needing to manually change anything in Windows. Since it works there I'm hoping you could bring that feature to Emby as well.

OK currently it has to be enabled in Windows, but we are working on a new Windows app that shouldn't have this requirement anymore. Thanks.

generiq
6 hours ago, Luke said:

OK currently it has to be enabled in Windows, but we are working on a new Windows app that shouldn't have this requirement anymore. Thanks.

You need to employ the the option of using --gpu-api=vulkan, then he'll have what he wants.

On 9/20/2023 at 2:25 AM, generiq said:

You need to employ the the option of using --gpu-api=vulkan, then he'll have what he wants.

Using a custom mpv install with this option and set it as external player would solve this for me?

generiq
3 hours ago, eL1337- said:

Using a custom mpv install with this option and set it as external player would solve this for me?

If you use mpv as an external player, use gpu-next, fs=yes, target-colorspace-hint=yes and gpu-api=vulkan, it should automatically turn windows hdr on.

You'll want to use the executable and not the library. 

Edited by generiq

How would I know that emby theater successfuly change framerate on playback? I don't see the diffrence. I also had to change render method from automatic to gpu because playback was choppy. 

I use Intel NUC 12 with i5 and windows 11 PRO, LG C2. 

Edited by Kraszer

generiq
2 minutes ago, Kraszer said:

How would I know that emby theater successfuly change framerate on playback? I don't see the diffrence. I also had to change render method from automatic to gpu because playback was choppy. 

Just look at the stats. It'll show what the frame rate is set to.

generiq
4 minutes ago, Kraszer said:

If you're using Theater .21 you should regress to .20 and use gpu-next 

generiq

But you guys should be aware that if you use mpv externally, it won't switch the framerate. The executable that does that, is written by emby for Theater. I suppose if you are proficient in scripting, you could write a script and use the executable. But nobody is going to help you with that.

• 2 weeks later...
scottpro

Not sure if this is helpful, but I wrote a Windows app and Lua script that will setup your display to match your video params.  The app also lets you query your displays and returns their current setup.  Currently I use it for setting hdr and refresh rates.

Usage: DisplayMode.exe -query [monitor] -monitor <1,2,...> -width <pixels> -height <pixels> -depth <16,24,32 bits> -refresh <23,24,25,29,30,50,59,60 Hz> -hdr <0,1> -bpcc <8,10,12>

Query example: DisplayMode.exe -query

{
    "display": [
        { "index": 1, "width": 3440, "height": 1440, "depth": 32, "refresh": 59, "hdr": -1, "bitsPerColorChannel": 8, "colorEncoding": "RGB" },
        { "index": 2, "width": 2560, "height": 1440, "depth": 32, "refresh": 59, "hdr": 1, "bitsPerColorChannel": 10, "colorEncoding": "RGB" }
    ]
}

hdr of -1 means the monitor does not support it, sdr only.  "0" means it's off and "1" means it's on.

Set example: DisplayMode.exe -monitor 2 -hdr 1 -refresh 23 (this would turn on hdr and set the refresh rate to 23.976 Hz)

Unsupported settings will not be applied, like setting 23 Hz and your monitor only supports 59 and 60 Hz.

The Lua script runs when the movie file is loaded, gets the video-params and then executes the DisplayMode.exe in a subprocess to setup the video card.  When the movie is stopped it sets the monitor back to the original settings.

If it's something you're interested I can send you the source (it's not on Github) or exe and Lua script.

This might be a good addition to ET.

Scott