Cinema Intros: How do local trailers work?

blgentry

blgentry

I recently downloaded trailers for my entire movie collection.  My structure has:

Movie (Year)/

Movie (Year).mkv

Movie (Year)-trailer.mkv

The trailers seem to be recognized by Emby because clicking the trailer button in each movie brings up the same thing that I see in the video file.  It also starts very quickly.

However, I clicked the check box for local trailers in Cinema Intros.  I was expecting that it would now pull trailers from my local movies and play them before other movies in my Library.  I did about 8 or 10 tests.  I didn't see any trailers from my library in any of my tests.  In fact, I only saw one trailer in every single test:  "The Machine", which is the only current trailer in the new and upcoming trailers bucket.

I have "older trailers" turned off because I don't want to use that bucket any more.  The trailers are extremely poor quality.  I would rather use my own downloaded trailers, but it does not seem to pick them up. Is the "older trailers" checkbox related in some way to "local trailers"?

What can I do to get more information or troubleshot this issue?

Thanks,

Brian.

blgentry

More testing:

If I turn off all selections for internet trailers, Cinema Intros uses my local trailers just fine.  As soon as I turn on any of the internet sources, Cinema Intros no longer uses any of my trailers.  I would have thought in testing 12 movies that at least one time I would see a local trailer.  I'm pretty sure the local trailers are not included in the selection process at all if Internet trailers are turned on.  Is this observation correct?

If I don't have this right, what is the intended logic?  I was expecting that matching trailers would be picked from any of the pools, with some randomization.   But the locals seem to not be used unless they are the only source.  

Thanks,
Brian.

Hi there, can you please provide a specific example?

Most likely the reason is the internet trailers have more metadata which means it's easier to match on those.

blgentry

Specific examples:

Lethal Weapon 1, 2, 3, and 4.  I have all of them with trailers.  I would expect that a trailer for one of them would play as a Cinema intro for the others.  Die Hard, 1, 2, 3, 4.  Same expectation.  Bloodsport.  I have many martial arts movies with trailers, but none of them play as Cinema Intros for Bloodsport.

IP Man, 1, 2, 3, 4.  Same observations.  The trailer for "Sakra" played 3 times when trying IP Man 1, 2, 3, and 4.   The same external trailer played 3 times in 4 tries.  That seems like it can't possibly be using my local trailers as a source.

My library isn't huge, but it has more than 450 movies.  I would expect to see at least one of my trailers in the 30 or so tries I've done so far.

If there are logs I can provide, versions, or something else I can try, please let me know and I'll do it.

Thanks,

Brian.

OK the issue is that the local trailers likely don't have the genres and other details that the main feature has. This causes them to not get matched as highly as the internet trailers. We'll look at improving this. Thanks.

blgentry

I don't know of any user facing method for editing metadata associated with trailers.  If there is, please let me know.

In addition, I'm not actually sure that my local trailers are being played at all.  The spinning circle between pressing the trailer button and seeing the trailer is long enough that it could be streaming, rather than playing from my local copy of the trailer.  Is there a way to tell what the source is for a playing trailer?  I'm happy looking at logs if that information is in there somewhere.  I didn't see it in the main emby server log the last time I looked.

Thanks,

Brian.

1 hour ago, blgentry said:

I don't know of any user facing method for editing metadata associated with trailers.  If there is, please let me know.

In addition, I'm not actually sure that my local trailers are being played at all.  The spinning circle between pressing the trailer button and seeing the trailer is long enough that it could be streaming, rather than playing from my local copy of the trailer.  Is there a way to tell what the source is for a playing trailer?  I'm happy looking at logs if that information is in there somewhere.  I didn't see it in the main emby server log the last time I looked.

Thanks,

Brian.

The server log would be the best place to see exactly what trailer is being played.

blgentry

The server log does seem to show local trailer playback.  It does not show a full path, but the filename matches what I expect so I think it's using local trailers.

Thanks,

Brian.

• Thanks 1