Emby vs plex vs jellyfin vs tvheadend

BrokenTV

Currently testing media servers for the best option for live television and there are a lot of options out there. Off the top of my head I have tested plex, jellyfin, tvheadend, xteve, channels dvr server, stb emulators like hls and stb proxies and there's a bunch more. That app infuse for apple and apple tv so far looks to be one of the best and it also will allow me to use most HOME media servers as a source for stuff. Tivimate looks ok I never used it much and smarterstv I do not like as well as stbEmu I do not like at all. I basically need a good front and back end setup but don't want to pay money for all these choices to see what is good so if I could get some input on what others do I would be happy. TY. I use an hdhomerun and m3u for my tv.

I like the way it looks on apple television 4k more so than anything else so far, I don't subscribe to it though but my friends use it and I really like how it looks. I am looking for something for live television mostly that can use m3u because I really don't like hdhomerun much. Do you have any suggestions luke ?

7 minutes ago, Luke said:

What do you like about the way it looks?

You should try it out for yourself and see but it doesn't have live tv support but it looks great. Look it up on youtube infuse for apple tv and watch the videos it's pretty nice.

8 minutes ago, BrokenTV said:

You should try it out for yourself and see but it doesn't have live tv support but it looks great. Look it up on youtube infuse for apple tv and watch the videos it's pretty nice.

I have seen it but I think our Apple TV interface is just as nice. That's why I'm asking you for specifics. I always like to hear about what things users like and don't' like in their user interface. It's that kind of feedback that helps us improve. So if there's another app that presents something in a different way that helps you get to it quicker, I like to hear about and see if we might be able to improve.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Luke said:

I have seen it but I think our Apple TV interface is just as nice. That's why I'm asking you for specifics. I always like to hear about what things users like and don't' like in their user interface. It's that kind of feedback that helps us improve. So if there's another app that presents something in a different way that helps you get to it quicker, I like to hear about and see if we might be able to improve.

I got you luke, for starters I like the way infuse has all the text about the movies at the bottom not covering the fan art up it's nice and neatly done. I first notice the size of the movie covers they are bigger and when switching through them they seem to not go to the next cover instant but it has a good slow pace when it changes to different covers not sure if it's an apple thing or not bit I really like it. Emby has small covers to close together and the top of the emby screen at the my media icons it just does not look very good they should be bigger and further apart from each other with maybe a little 3d effect like the cover is sticking out from the screen maybe ? The homepage of emby I don't fancy it for that reason small cover art it just looks oddly done even dated maybe. The clicking sound when going through media should be something that is different I'm sure there is a sound that works much better. The top of the screen where it has the emby logo and favourites and the clock etc should not even be there it just takes up space for something cooler like top movies or top tv shows like apple tv has the big wide logos and have it stick out a bit like a 3d effect. The other stuff that was at the top maybe be able to press left to have it show for options and favourites ? The big wide logos at the top is what really would be pleasantly welcomed. Now that plex is just about ready to go bankrupt it's the perfect time to make emby more eye capturing to take over the home media experience for those when they have no plex to use when it's gone. Emby on iptv and the look and feel and how it works I really do like it and I would not change a thing except for the one thing that has me not sure on what I want personally is the amount of time it takes for the channels to start playing it really is odd. I would pay for emby monthly again if it just looked better, it's a great software but I like looks when it comes to my media. 

• Like 1

arrbee99

Sorry, can't resist...I sure agree about the backdrops.

Infuse (very nice) -

AlienInfuse.thumb.jpg.e927be03677cb00f0af4bdaa7ac24b7d.jpg

Emby. Firefox + css (but not on Apple TV unless there's a way to make Apple TV screenshots) -

AlienEmby.thumb.jpg.11f4c0cacafa7eecb065e719e91930df.jpg

• Like 1

arrbee99

...thanks. The Infuse version is also nice with the controls and info next to each other rather than stacked, and of course bigger, but I ain't complaining.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Luke said:

On the plus side emby is well over half way to being great and I know the time this has taken you so hats off to you luke. 

arrbee99

I quite like the Home page as well -

AlienITHomepage..thumb.jpg.1c87242672a93fb38e99f2fa2351b597.jpg

sorry, I do tend to take over things just to plug my own stuff - bad habit.

As you can see, I'm doing it again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

...thanks. The Infuse version is also nice with the controls and info next to each other rather than stacked, and of course bigger, but I ain't complaining.

Your css idea is really welcomed and great but we all have been there, css can only go so far and on a laptop which I don't watch tv on. If css worked on all devices I would be super happy right now but yeah I played with css for years, fun but only results on a computer. If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them ?

arrbee99

I'm a one idea person really - backdrops. Move stuff out the way on movies, for TV series, for music, for the home screen. A few bits like borders around pretty much everything, some background fades, bit of a fiddle with the TV guide...

See

With usual caveats about updates, or lack of.

Like you say if only it worked for other platforms though...

Luke is this something you are able to do ? or no

What I have done is flash a usb with libreelec installed it onto a mini pc and setup tvheadend and ssh on the box. I ssh'd into the libreelec box after install and placed a custom m3u to internal storage of the libreelec then uploaded it to the tvh server along with the epg and now letting it scan the channels and load the epg. I have an old login from tivimate companion I will use on android tv after the scan is done and use this for the time being. Eventually I will buy emby again monthly as I'am sure it is the best option in the long run for myself and infuse has no live tv support so it's not for me.

Luke can I have an unlimited emby for 24 hours to test iptv ?

I will give you a cheese burger 😀

13 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Subscribe to Premiere for a month, it'll come cheaper and you'll have longer period for testing. 

I have to pay to test :(

13 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Subscribe to Premiere for a month, it'll come cheaper and you'll have longer period for testing. 

IPTV works great with no lag thanks

The clicking sound when going through media should be something that is different I'm sure there is a sound that works much better.

Isn't it the same as apple apps?