Cast from emby app on android phone to roku?

Morpheus23

Morpheus23

I want to cast from the Emby app on my Samsung 22+ phone to a Roku Ultra 4800x, but when I do, it seems to just be turning into a remote for the emby app on the roku.

I don't want the roku to play the movie, I want my phone to do all the decoding of the video, sound, subs, etc., and just pass the streams to the roku to play on the TV.

I thought that was what casting was supposed to do.  Unfortunately, it looks like the phone just turns into a remote for the Roku when this happens, and the roku is doing all the decoding ( which isn't good).  I just want to mirror what is on the phone and pass it through the Roku to the TV.

Morpheus23

The Roku doesn't support PSG subs nor TrueHD 7.1, but my phone does.  My phone is much more powerful, so I just want the streams to pass through the Roku to the TV.

I want the emby server to serve movies to my phone, have the phone do all the decoding work, etc, and then pass through the Roku to the TV.

Edited by Morpheus23
  • Thanks 1

We haven't built our casting this way because in most cases having it serve as a remote control is the better way to go. But yes that is true about those formats.

You can mirror directly to the Roku through the supported Miracast protocol. Follow the URL below.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928

This allows you to use your phones native functionality to stream to your Roku. Using this method you would launch Emby on your phone. Find an item to play. Just before you attempt to play that item you would want to link to the Roku for second screen display. Then just play on your phone and the content is streamed onto your Roku. This may or may not be acceptable but it does work this way for anything you can view on your phone, not just Emby. It isn't a perfect experience but it might work for you.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1