Show Embedded title in track selection

libaroba

The web app is showing the Embedded title field of the audio and subtitle tracks (which can be edited in various mkv tools) under the title (which I belive cannot be altered and is composed from other fields) as you can see on the pictures. It is very useful as a description in case of multiple dubbing versions or when there is a multiple commentary tracks.

image.png.5ba29786169d7e7441e96041225ee69d.png image.thumb.png.fb6b1e936256037d73d3dd0371eccdab.png

I use the web app only for library management. Watching is done only on a TV/projector through various Android TV devices. This feature on Android TV app is missing and when selecting audio or subtitles only the "Title" is shown. So there are cases in my library when watching on Android TV app where there is multiple tracks with same title (i.e., multiples of Czech DTS-HD MA 5.1 next to each other) with no way to differentiate between them. I could not see anything in preferences that would enable this on Android TV app. The behaviour on Android TV is bellow.

image.thumb.png.92f0a71af18e948bb600d1dd72b078c4.png

image.thumb.png.9d1ac2d7f2fd13bf4e911ba94aa00b8b.png

Allright, I can confirm the sideloaded Android app shows the emebeded title. However the integration with Android TV home screen is not as good as before and that "Continue" section at home screen of Android TV shows wrong images instead of banner images - vertical primary ones for films or episode thumbnails that are badly cropped.

image.thumb.png.ecf1425283726d2ae56eda57ef212c1f.png

I would rather use the native Android TV app that is more simplistic as the devices connected to TV screens are only used for watching and not for server management (that is done only on the PC web app) and the Android TV integration is more seemless. But the lack of Embeded title support is a huge negative. Would it be possible to implement the feature in the Android TV app in future releases, please? It might be really usefull for simple content consuming to differentiate normal audio from various bonus comment tracks or different dubbing versions.

I would rather use the native Android TV app that is more simplistic as the devices connected to TV screens are only used for watching and not for server management (that is done only on the PC web app)

hi, why do you think it's more simplistic? You don't have to use it for server management. You can simply ignore it.

rbjtech

@libaroba

Why don't you just turn on 'Prefer embedded titles' - In Library > Advanced

It will then use the embedded title instead ;)

This is the basis for the MediaInfo Plugin - where we write all the MediaInfo to the embedded MKV track title - and emby then displays this.     In your case, it will display the extra information you require, but note the number of characters displayed is limited on the AndroidTV App - you may not see it all displayed.

image.png.68cb90605aaaf16371bc86cf08b3bba1.png

Edited by rbjtech

Why don't you just turn on 'Prefer embedded titles' - In Library > Advanced

Prefer embedded titles is already set and it does not change anything.

hi, why do you think it's more simplistic? You don't have to use it for server management. You can simply ignore it.

Well I can ignore it. But it does not change the fact that the Android TV is integrated better with Android TV. Besides the glitch with home screen it starts slower and it does feel that the UI is more ment for small phones altough it scales up to larger screen with responsive components.

Maybe I will look into it and try to prepare merge request myself once I have a time to dig through the codebase and build process to reuse the component from Android app/web app. The track selection component on Android TV client besides the missing embeded title feature is badly styled, too.

18 minutes ago, libaroba said:

Maybe I will look into it and try to prepare merge request myself once I have a time to dig through the codebase and build process to reuse the component from Android app/web app. The track selection component on Android TV client besides the missing embeded title feature is badly styled, too.

Ok, after brief search through github and dev topics in forum I see that the Android TV app will be replaced with regular Android app even on stores. So there is no need to contribute in to the Android TV app. I will just wait for the updates and if there will be some issues with Android app on Android TV I will try to help/contribute as I can.

I assume that with the planned replacement of the Android TV app, this issue I have with the embedded title will no longer be relevant and there is no point to continue discussion in thic topic. :)

rbjtech
2 hours ago, libaroba said:

Ok, after brief search through github and dev topics in forum I see that the Android TV app will be replaced with regular Android app even on stores. So there is no need to contribute in to the Android TV app. I will just wait for the updates and if there will be some issues with Android app on Android TV I will try to help/contribute as I can.

I assume that with the planned replacement of the Android TV app, this issue I have with the embedded title will no longer be relevant and there is no point to continue discussion in thic topic. :)

Please see above - the setting has nothing to do with the Apps - it's a library setting and works for both AndroidTV and Android (or any other App ..)

rbjtech
2 hours ago, libaroba said:

Prefer embedded titles is already set and it does not change anything.

Ensure 'Show Extended Information' is enabled in the AndroidTV App.

Edited by rbjtech

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Please see above - the setting has nothing to do with the Apps - it's a library setting and works for both AndroidTV and Android (or any other App ..)

The issue is the other apps show both titles and the TV app only shows the preferred one.  It is currently using standard menu elements that only support one line of text.