Might as well ask here - backing up

arrbee99

arrbee99

Thought I'd ask about backing stuff up (again)

A good 95% of the stuff on my Emby PC is media and am wondering about the best way to back it up.

I do backup already to a stack of usb drives but am wondering about a diy NAS. Specifically wondering about software. Seems like there's Truenas, Openmediavault and Unraid.

Is Unraid the best ? At the moment, talking purely about backup, no Docker thingies or VM whatsits. Might possible run Emby on it, but seriously doubt it.

So a Fractal case, bunch of drives and    ?

RanmaCanada

It all depends on your use case and what not.  UNRAID is great as you can use any amount of drives with different drive sizes as long as none are larger than your parity drives.  I have tried to use Truenas and it was no where near as user friendly as UNRAID was.  

How much space you backing up?

RanmaCanada

Ok that's not that large then, and is actually easily doable.  Pending on your finances, probably 6-7 18tb drives.  Dual parity and 4 drives for data (zfs 3 drives needs 7).  Case wise, either a Fractal Meshify 2 XL, or a Define XL 7.  You could go with a Node 804 if you have access to a 3D printer as the mounts are different for larger drives.  As it's a backup, you probably want to use ZFS, which UNRAID does support now, or you could go with TrueNAS.  I'd suggest a Ryzen Pro G series processor, with ECC memory to catch bitflips and any x470-x570 board that supports ECC with a Pro series processor (ASROCK, ASUS).  You could use onboard controllers or look at an HBA like a 9211-8i in TI mode.  If you do go ZFS, you can't add drives after the fact.  You are stuck at what you created and would need to create a new pool.

I'm not an expert though, so please do not take my words as gospel.  I would check on reddit if possible in either /r/datahoarder or /r/homelab as they are the real experts on this stuff.

Your other option, is tape, as online would be too expensive.

arrbee99

So the simple(?) act of using zfs bumps the drive count from 4 to 7 plus stops you adding more drives (easily). Doesn't really sound like a selling point zfs-wise.

Have accumulated a 7XL, a Ryzen 5-something, mobo, psu and bits. Don't think I thought about error checking though.

Forking out for new HDDs adds up though, unless I shuck some of the existing backups.

I've looked at the Unraid forum and r/unraid or whatever its called. Didn't know about r/homelab...

Thanks for the info 😀

I am in this boat now actually, I don't use nas I just don't want to but one of my drives is failing 20TB drive. Backing up ? pull and connect to a linux box and hope you get all the data before it dies. I have 32 hard drives all 20TB I have been here before and always worked so far after a drive does not show over and over again after a reboot, usually 3 days in after a reboot it will go non show. I used freenas before I hate it, loads to slow and I just don't like it. I always number my drives 1 - 32.

arrbee99

I would like to use a (DIY) NAS. Its just getting round to it. I'm hoping to use it just to backup but then think, with Unraid I don't need a backup, thats supposed to be what the parity is for. Then I think, yes but two separate drives sounds better, can be in different rooms or even houses then. Then I do nothing and suddenly its 6 months later....

20TB drives must be fairly new though, can't they replace it for you ?

I'd have to sell the children to have 32 20TB drives though. Obviously its tempting, but the missus wouldn't approve...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

I would like to use a (DIY) NAS. Its just getting round to it. I'm hoping to use it just to backup but then think, with Unraid I don't need a backup, thats supposed to be what the parity is for. Then I think, yes but two separate drives sounds better, can be in different rooms or even houses then. Then I do nothing and suddenly its 6 months later....

20TB drives must be fairly new though, can't they replace it for you ?

I'd have to sell the children to have 32 20TB drives though. Obviously its tempting, but the missus wouldn't approve...

I will tell you this much, a nas will still have the same headaches as a server running raw my friend. Anyway I run big servers for external users not emby. Emby is for me and my family only, run other stuff for other reasons .. heres a pic of my firestick.

tivimate.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

I need something though, or I'll have a lot bigger headache if I loose everything...

Plug your drive in a linux environment and copy it off brother. If your drive is failing do it quick!

RanmaCanada
15 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

So the simple(?) act of using zfs bumps the drive count from 4 to 7 plus stops you adding more drives (easily). Doesn't really sound like a selling point zfs-wise.

Have accumulated a 7XL, a Ryzen 5-something, mobo, psu and bits. Don't think I thought about error checking though.

Forking out for new HDDs adds up though, unless I shuck some of the existing backups.

I've looked at the Unraid forum and r/unraid or whatever its called. Didn't know about r/homelab...

Thanks for the info 😀

Well that was for ZFS 3.  You can have 1-3 parity drives in ZFS from the calculator.  They have been working on making zfs expandable for quite some time, and they still haven't been able to manage it.  ZFS is superior to everything else in regards to data protection.  

Spaceboy
2 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

This seems to get complicated quickly. I can see why people go Synology...

why do you want to back up? what peril are you trying to avoid?

arrbee99

Fire, flood, pestilence, unrestrained use of the delete button. You know, the usual stuff....

Not having all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Spaceboy
4 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Fire, flood, pestilence, unrestrained use of the delete button. You know, the usual stuff....

Not having all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.

and you've thought about the different strategies needed to deal with all of them? fire and flood need very different mitigation than mechanical, software or user failure

• Like 1

Q-Droid

For backups and not live data then a drive pool with snapraid might end up being the most flexible option for you. Not that snapraid can't be used with live data but the snaps are not real time parity. With a drive pool and snapraid you would retain the flexibility of different sized HDDs and still be able to fully or almost fully utilize them. The main catch with snapraid is to make sure the parity volume is at least as big as the biggest HDD of the pool.

If you want to take the DIY NAS approach OpenMediaVault could be the most generic and straightforward way to go. Others like TrueNAS and Unraid have their own ways of doing things while OMV tends to allow more flexibility and is a NAS platform built on standard Debian rather than a proprietary or heavily modified distro.

arrbee99

Thanks, I shall check those out as well. Hope they live up to the 'simple and easy to use out-of-the-box solution' that at least OMV says it is...

5 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

This seems to get complicated quickly. I can see why people go Synology...

I've repurposed an old i7 Gen2 I still had laying around. Added a few RAM sticks (was about 25eur for 16GB DDR3 RAM) and ordered a bunch of new 8TB drives and a PCIe to SATA card. Since I've been using Synology since DSM version 3.2, I didn't really want to move away from that.

I got RedPill Loader for Synology and installed DSM 7.1 on that box and it really just runs as a Synology.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/60130-redpill-tinycore-loader-installation-guide-for-dsm-71-baremetal/