Question about my scheduled task settings

eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy

the guide info runs out after 2 days of not refreshing manually because the scheduled tasks i have set are not actually refreshing the guide on startup, or every 15 minutes, or every 24 hours.

Actually it ran just fine, but there was just nothing found in the guide data:

2023-09-08 21:23:32.945 Debug LiveTV: EPG channel not found for tuner channel 11108-UK: CBeebies from XmlTV-

eeeeeesy

the issue was not just for 1 channel. it was for thousands of channels. the other thing was why wasnt this corrected after the next 15 minutes scan since the epg was available all day? the epg might not have been available at initial startup until 30 seconds later but iit definitely was there after and has been there all day. cbeebies is not even what i was talking about.

There is nothing wrong with the scheduled task. It is running exactly when you configure it to. The problem is that the xml source just has no data in it, or the data is out of date.

You can easily prove this - don't run the scheduled task manually. Keep an eye on the scheduled tasks page and the "last ran" time for the refresh guide will update itself.

That will show you that the task is running.

7 hours ago, Luke said:

There is nothing wrong with the scheduled task. It is running exactly when you configure it to. The problem is that the xml source just has no data in it, or the data is out of date.

You can easily prove this - don't run the scheduled task manually. Keep an eye on the scheduled tasks page and the "last ran" time for the refresh guide will update itself.

That will show you that the task is running.

This is a known flaw bro, if you run an xmltv you will always need to manually update it. This has always been the case on emby since day one. I even tested this I ran 9 epgs all work fine, ran 9 playlists all work fine. They always drop out causing a manual refresh!

9 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

schedueled tasks are broken forever and will not be fixed i guess

Manually map to the emby guide or your SOL brother, this will never be fixed because they have no idea how to fix it or they would have years ago.

You have thousands of channels, take a week off work 😄

8 minutes ago, Turkojan said:

This is a known flaw bro, if you run an xmltv you will always need to manually update it. This has always been the case on emby since day one. I even tested this I ran 9 epgs all work fine, ran 9 playlists all work fine. They always drop out causing a manual refresh!

There is no known flaw here. What exactly do you think is the issue? Running the scheduled task manually is the same thing as it running automatically. The same operation occurs. What's probably happening is that it's running before you've got your xml file updated, thus causing you to think you might have to do it manually. You can solve that by adjusting the timing of when it runs.

They always drop out causing a manual refresh!

They drop out and then they need a refresh. It doesn't matter if it's manual or automatic.

1 minute ago, Turkojan said:

Manually map to the emby guide or your SOL brother, this will never be fixed because they have no idea how to fix it or they would have years ago.

You have thousands of channels, take a week off work 😄

OK now you're talking about automatic mapping which is another subject altogether. If you have channels that weren't automatically mapped that you think should have been, then please open a new topic with examples and we'll be happy to look at them to see what improvements can be made.

15 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK now you're talking about automatic mapping which is another subject altogether. If you have channels that weren't automatically mapped that you think should have been, then please open a new topic with examples and we'll be happy to look at them to see what improvements can be made.

NO bro, you can't fix this issue or you would have years ago. I don't care as I map all my channels to emby guide so I could care less if it ever gets fixed. I love the emby guide anyway personally for me and my family so I don't care. But if you run an xml other than emby good luck!

eeeeeesy
4 hours ago, Luke said:

There is no known flaw here. What exactly do you think is the issue? Running the scheduled task manually is the same thing as it running automatically. The same operation occurs. What's probably happening is that it's running before you've got your xml file updated, thus causing you to think you might have to do it manually. You can solve that by adjusting the timing of when it runs.

They drop out and then they need a refresh. It doesn't matter if it's manual or automatic.

what are you talking about? do you not know what my scheduled tasks are even for? one of them runs every 15 minutes. so it does not matter if i happened to startup emby before ETV since etv starts up maybe 30 seconds after emby so 15 minutes later if your scheduled tasks actually worked as they should my EPG should still update in 15 minutes and every 15 minutes. but this is not happening because for some reason  the only thing that allows my epg to update is the manual guide refresh in emby. the epg is gone all day unless i manually refresh. and again, thats for all channels, not just one channel.

Edited by eeeeeesy

9 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

what are you talking about? do you not know what my scheduled tasks are even for? one of them runs every 15 minutes. so it does not matter if i happened to startup emby before ETV since etv starts up maybe 30 seconds after emby so 15 minutes later if your scheduled tasks actually worked as they should my EPG should still update in 15 minutes and every 15 minutes. but this is not happening because for some reason  the only thing that allows my epg to update is the manual guide refresh in emby. the epg is gone all day unless i manually refresh. and again, thats for all channels, not just one channel.

I'm not denying that you're having a problem, but what I'm saying is you're focusing on scheduled tasks instead of letting us help you get to the bottom of it. I'm just telling you that the problem is something else. Your scheduled task triggers are running, that's not the issue.

• Like 1

eeeeeesy
On 9/10/2023 at 1:54 PM, Luke said:

I'm not denying that you're having a problem, but what I'm saying is you're focusing on scheduled tasks instead of letting us help you get to the bottom of it. I'm just telling you that the problem is something else. Your scheduled task triggers are running, that's not the issue.

ok finally more info. that is good. now that you told me that, what can i do to help you figure out the issue and maybe push an update? could the problem be your guide refresh timeout is not long enough? the ability to set a custom guide refresh timeout would be great in a situation like this please.

image.png.1408d2ce383b559cfd046c4c9c5b6583.png

as you can see now even manual refresh is getting cancelled. it needs a longer refresh timeout since i have a lot of channels

Edited by eeeeeesy

On 9/12/2023 at 10:17 PM, eeeeeesy said:

@eeeeeesy

I believe this is the Virtual TV plugin that is cancelling and restarting the refresh guide process. if you remove that plugin, then restart the server, does that resolve the issue?

I'll consult with the developer of the plugin.

pünktchen
15 hours ago, Luke said:

I believe this is the Virtual TV plugin that is cancelling and restarting the refresh guide process.

Why do you think that?
I believe it's a problem with Tvheadend (plugin). Right after the Tvheadend plugin tries to get guide data, the guide refresh is cancelled:

2023-09-12 00:20:15.469 Info LiveTvService: [TVHclient] GetProgramsAsync, ask TVH for events of channel '1965957640'.
2023-09-12 00:20:15.470 Fatal LiveTvService: [TVHclient] MessageDistributor: HTSResponseHandler for seq = '265' not found!

2023-09-12 00:21:15.484 Debug TaskManager: Refresh Guide Cancelled after 1 minute(s) and 44 seconds

The VirtualTV plugin is never called for the guide refresh!

Edited by pünktchen

4 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Why do you think that?
I believe it's a problem with Tvheadend (plugin). Right after the Tvheadend plugin tries to get guide data, the guide refresh is cancelled:

2023-09-12 00:20:15.469 Info LiveTvService: [TVHclient] GetProgramsAsync, ask TVH for events of channel '1965957640'.
2023-09-12 00:20:15.470 Fatal LiveTvService: [TVHclient] MessageDistributor: HTSResponseHandler for seq = '265' not found!

2023-09-12 00:21:15.484 Debug TaskManager: Refresh Guide Cancelled after 1 minute(s) and 44 seconds

The VirtualTV plugin is never called for the guide refresh!

Is the plugin doing anything with ITaskManager?

What you're seeing with TVH is the result, not the problem. In other words, guide refresh runs, you see the TVH log messages, then something cancels the guide refresh and starts it all over again, so you see more TVH messages.

It's unclear where the cancel instruction is coming from, other than it's definitely not coming from the outside because there are no incoming http requests.  He's on 4.7 in case that matters.

pünktchen
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

Is the plugin doing anything with ITaskManager?

Yes. It's listening to events from ITaskManager. If guide refresh starts, the plugin checks for the last successful guide refresh and sets a boolean variable. If the guide refresh finishes successfully, the plugin fires a scheduled task that exports the Emby guide data to a xmltv file. But this task is never executed in his logs. That's all!

1 minute ago, pünktchen said:

Yes. It's listening to events from ITaskManager. If guide refresh starts, the plugin checks for the last successful guide refresh and sets a boolean variable. If the guide refresh finishes successfully, the plugin fires a scheduled task that exports the Emby guide data to a xmltv file. But this task is never executed in his logs. That's all!

Are you ever calling SaveTunerHost, SaveListingsProvider or any other methods on ILiveTVManager? There are some things that will kick off a guide refresh if you call them.

pünktchen
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you ever calling SaveTunerHost, SaveListingsProvider or any other methods on ILiveTVManager?

I'm calling SaveTunerHost at the plugin initialization, but only if there's no VirtualTV tuner host available yet.

I still think it's the Tvheadend plugin. Only because there's no exception thrown doesn't mean it's running flawlessly. I know this from my own live tv plugins. If there's an error in the GetProgramsInternal method, then the guide refresh in Emby is just cancelled.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

then something cancels the guide refresh and starts it all over again

The guide refresh starts all over again, because the OP has set an task interval trigger of 15 minutes!!!

If there's an error in the GetProgramsInternal method, then the guide refresh in Emby is just cancelled.

This isn't true, at least not anymore.

The guide refresh starts all over again, because the OP has set an task interval trigger of 15 minutes!!!

That could also be it. @eeeeeesyis it possible that the task hasn't completed yet by the time the next interval fires? Try changing that schedule back to the default of every 12 or 24 hours.