Wierd exit to "add channel" when scrolling on Roku.

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

This is just, for now at least, a report as I cannot force this to repeat although I have seen it happen on three different Rokus.

I enter the Emby Roku app. I then go directly to a library (I have seen this in TV, movies and pictures) and I go to the alpha picker and press and hold the down arrow to get to the middle of the list.
Before the scroll reaches where I am going I am kicked out of the Emby app (no messages or errors indicating what has happened) and the screen to add a channel comes up. On two of my Rokus it was "Add Sling" that came up several times while on the other Roku it was "Add Hulu" that I saw.
I suspect it was related to the ad that was showing on the right side of Roku's home screen.

I also think this is somehow a flaw in the Roku firmware but I cannot be sure so I thought I would report it here.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this because its very nature means that right after it happens the info all goes away including the Emby Roku logs. I suppose the server could have some info but the actual failure happens, I believe, while the server's connection to the Roku is inactive or at least waiting for the letter scrolling to reach its destination.

I really have no clue how to proceed but I will be willing to try a few hings to help find the problem but, as I said, I think this is a Roku problem.

BTW: I am running the current latest Roku (All devices are Roku Ultras) release but I have not been updated to the new home screen they are said to be rolling out.

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Now that is bizarre...  Please let us know if you can make it consistent.

Yeah. I know it is bizarre it is also quite frustrating as I really dislike ambiguity. This is the kind of problem that helped drive me from Rouk's beta testing group. Their firmware develops really strange and unusual problems. Possession is a real possibility at times.

Lydia Deetz would be right at home with a Roku.
"Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual.' I, myself, am strange and unusual."

It is those "quick launch" buttons on the Roku remote I betcha.

image.thumb.jpeg.1bb537ffff93e3b62e41ca49748b29be.jpeg

Occasionally when I am watching something. up pops this over what I am watching. I didn't press a button to launch Hulu. It misinterprets the button presses. I pressed back.

When the video player is not visible, the confimcation message to exit will not be shown and instead it will rudely exit the channel you are in and launch the other channel. If that channel is no longer installed that a quick launch button is made for it will land you on the channel store entry for that application meant for that button. This is likely what is happening.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, speechles said:

Occasionally when I am watching something. up pops this over what I am watching. I didn't press a button to launch Hulu. It misinterprets the button presses. I pressed back.

When the video player is not visible, the confimcation message to exit will not be shown and instead it will rudely exit the channel you are in and launch the other channel. If that channel is no longer installed that a quick launch button is made for it will land you on the channel store entry for that application meant for that button. This is likely what is happening.

That may well be correct but I have disabled those stupid unnecessary buttons on all my remotes and fill the cavity with silicone caulk. That renderers it impossible to even accidentally press those buttons and it happens almost exactly the same on all my Rokus with three different remotes including my Harmony as well as the "regular" Roku remotes.

However it does not mean that it is not related to those stupid useless buttons rather it just means it would be the code they call rather than the buttons themselves that are at fault.

But I had forgotten about those buttons and you have, at least, come up with a reasonable explanation for what I found totally inexplicable. 

I wonder if it is related to the fact that when it happens I have pressed and held a button down for fast scrolling. 

BTW: Only on one of my Rokus do I use an original remote. The others are either the Harmony or a replacement ir remote.

• 2 weeks later...
Gilgamesh_48

FWIW: This is regularly happening on two of my Roku ultras, the two I use 98% of the time. Once it happened once it seems to be a regular happening and only happens when I am scrolling in the "Alpha picker." But is does not seem to matter if I press and hold the down arrow or press it as a series of short presses.

While I do not believe it is actually a flaw in something Emby does it is only in Emby where it happens. Other apps do not magically exit no matter what i do with the arrow keys.
I suspect that something in the way Emby is handling rapid or continuous key presses. It seems possible that something is simply wrapped too tight and an action gets passed out to Roku's operating system when it actually should be handled by Emby.

As I said before it is not imperative but I wish something could be done as it mostly seems to happen when it is the least convenient to get back to what I was doing.

BTW: I use an ir remote on one Roku and a Harmony or Roku's original remote on another and the problem happens on both so it is not directly linked to the type of remote being used.

The last app I installed last on my Rokus was the Sling app and that has been the app activated by the bug for quite a while. In fact i have not seen any other app's message since I installed Sling but the exit bug keep happening.

This is just a follow up to keep this fresh. I have no idea how I would approach this if it were my app as I still cannot reliably reproduce it, it just happens when my Roku feels I need more excitement in my life. Maybe it is gremlins. ;)  I really thought I did not get them wet or feed them after midnight but I am getting old so maybe I did and simply forgot. :D