Questions about WMC UI on Android Tablets

TMCsw

It works mostly well on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (without keyboard). But I have to double tap on the input fields to get the on screen keyboard to come up and when scrolling the highlight doesn't change but items can be tapped.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

It works mostly well on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (without keyboard). But I have to double tap on the input fields to get the on screen keyboard to come up and when scrolling the highlight doesn't change but items can be tapped.

The main concern is the scrolling and focusing like in the start menu for example and the scrolling like you mentioned. That seemed to get a little more complicated to make it work nicely, so I had put it on hold for now. Showing the OSK on first tap will be easy, though.

To clarify: 

It is planned to make it working on tablets with touch input.
What will not be supported is phone screens. In portrait orientation: no way, landscape would work like on tablets but the size is way too small to have any joy with it and adaptions for that are not planned.

• Like 2

Thanks, when you get back to it I'm guessing you would highlight an item when it mostly occupies a “sweet zone/area”, or did you have something else in mind?

I found one more thing, there doesn’t seem to be any PLAY button made available when using the live TV guide, it just gives the description (tried single, double and long taps). 

5 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

when you get back to it I'm guessing you would highlight an item when it mostly occupies a “sweet zone/area”, or did you have something else in mind?

That's one of the difficulties, because we could highlight an item depending on position (like with keyboard navigation), and that would work for the start menu, but for the gallery/browse views there can be multiple rows and there's the question how to determine which item from which row to highlight.. I don't have a good idea for this yet.

9 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

I found one more thing, there doesn’t seem to be any PLAY button made available when using the live TV guide, it just gives the description (tried single, double and long taps). 

But can't you open the details of an item? There should be a play button, no?

SikSlayer

I've LONG since been running it on both a Samsung Galaxy Note 9, as well as another Android tablet (a Huawei MediaPad M5) and generally, touch works as expected. At first, it didn't, but after the first 2 or 3 updates, it's generally works as one would expect. But this weekend, I tried it on my iPad Pro, via the web app, and there, the touch navigation is horrible.

I don't ever talk about it much since its right in the notes that it's not being tested or worked on, but as I say, it's generally great, at least on Android.

Yes, we will get to that. There are also a number of other imperfections regarding scrolling (like via mouse wheel).

In some areas (like this one), there's still some technical debt for unifying specialties of the WMC UI with the core client code, and effort spent on perfection before that integration work might be just wasted.

But this will definitely be fixed, eventually.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 6:43 PM, softworkz said:

But can't you open the details of an item? There should be a play button, no?

This is what I see:

image.thumb.png.7bf07c320b4ce6686d711a9511764486.png

Not exactly intuitive but I did find I can double tap on the item in the guide itself just not anywhere on the poster or description at the bottom.

The focus preview area at the bottom doesn't have any provide any methods interaction. I.e. in WMC, you cannot mouse-click those elements either. 

With mouse operation:

• Hovering an item in the guide shows the preview for that item in the bottom area
  • Clicking on an item opens the details
  • Right-clicking an item shows the context menu

For touch operation, there is no "hovering" - hence the interaction is slightly different:

• Tapping an item shows the preview in the bottom area
  • Double-tapping an item opens the details
  • Long-tapping an item should show the context menu (not sure, does that work already?

Long tap brings up a box in the center of the screen with a smaller poster and the show tittle (not verry useful as there is already that and more on the bottom)

16 hours ago, TMCsw said:

Long tap brings up a box in the center of the screen with a smaller poster and the show tittle

That sounds like an empty context menu...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ebr said:

That sounds like an empty context menu...

Yes, most likely. The context menu has a header which is showing the title and a mini preview image.

I (unexpectedly, I'm off-site) had a chance to try this on app.emby.media and it gives the same result when right-clicking an item in the guide:

image.thumb.png.2c5981550a9ac469dc333028972b3298.png

@Luke- A recent regression bug?